Cycling a new tank?

Rcchanlder

Reefing newb
I am beginning a new saltwater aquarium. I have heard a number of different methods in cycling a new tank. Does anyone seem to know the best method?

if your using uncured rock then just put it in the tank with RO/DI saltwater and let it sit for a month or two and that will cycle. if your using cured rock then it shouldnt really cycle

You can use live rock, as Dustin said, or you can "ghost feed" the tank. That is, putting in some fish food and letting it rot. Similarly, you can use a piece of frozen shrimp from the grocery store. Any of these methods are good. By far, the worst method is to use live fish. The waste they produce has the same effect as letting food rot in your tank or using uncured rock. Only thing is, the fish either won't survive, or they will, and you'll end up with fish that you don't want down the road. Damsels are commonly used, but damsels are some of the most aggressive fish you can put in your tank, and they'll often kill other fish you try to add later on. So don't use a fish to cycle.

ive got about 2.5 lbs of live rock in the tank right now. How many lbs of live live rock should i put in there, and about how long will it take to cycle the tank with the live rock?

By testing for ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate.
You'll see the ammonia rise,then nitrits will rise and ammonia will drop.When ammonia and nitrite both test at zero,the cycles done.

So adding 30 lbs or more of live rock is just not going to be an option for me at $10 per lb. I just dont have the option of spending $300 + on rocks. Is cycling the tank with fish less beneficial?

the most important aspect of cycling is patience. Just when you think your ready to add a fish, wait another 2 weeks. Get a good test kit and test every week.

It's less beneficial to you and the fish. It's the worst way to cycle a tank.

Use the third option I talked about -- cycling using fish food or a piece of shrimp from the grocery store.

Also see if you can find some dry base rock.Its a lot cheaper than live rock,and the live rock you already have will seed the base.

ok, cool. i'v got several lbs of lace rock in the tank right now. Also, i added some shrimp prellets to the tank last night Bifferwine suggested. I'm going to take some water by my pet store today to get some initial readings on the water.

yote's got you, buy some dry base rock (+/- 30lbs) to save money, and then add several pieces of (+/- 25lbs) of cured live rock. The cured rock will reduce the cycling you will have to go through, and will give you a little something to enjoy while you are waiting. This is probably the worst part of this hobby, you spend all the time, money, and hard work putting together your system, get it filled and then you just have to look at rocks for the first couple of months. The cured rock has the potential to bring you some feather dusters, crabs, worms, starfish and more. I actually enjoyed my time during the cycle, because as the parameters started to align, all sorts of new life came creeping from the rocks. I am still finding hitch hikers to this day!

Keep in mind though, the more dry rock you start with initially, the longer it will take your system to be able to handle it's full potential for bioload so if you want to fast track it a bit, spend the cash now for all live rock.

Is cycling the tank with fish less beneficial?

Realize that the live rock is a big part of your filtration. It sounds like you are asking if you can cycle the tank with fish instead of live rock. The answer is yes but you will need to have heavy mechanical filtration in place to compensate for the lack of live rock and it's a cruel thing to do to a fish.

Last edited:
I got my water tested today. Ammonia was at 5. So i added a few more lbs of live rock to the tank. The fish store told me to come back and have my water tested again on thurs. i have about 6 lbs of live rock in the tank now.

another FYI: You cannot be sure that your cycle is done until you have added the last of your live rock so it's in your best interest to avoid trips to the LFS just for the sake of water testing, and on that note, this hobby requires quite a bit of attention to water parameters so you may consider buying a test kit of your own. You may also want to see if theres another LFS store around, 10/lb seems a bit high for LR. I got all of mine by searching craigslist and the newspaper. Often times someone leaving the hobby will give their LR away or sell it for cheap. Good Luck!

be patient, they pop up all the time for $1.5-$5/lb... Or perhaps even better. I have nearly 150lbs or LR and +/- $120 total invested... and you should see all the hitchikers I've got.

Back