cycleing question

dannyboy

PLUHH
I've been cycling my 75 gallon almost 3 weeks. I have about 50 lbs live rock, (mostly cured says lfs, they pretty good) and 60 lbs of live sand. The only test kit I have until tomorrow is ammonia, and I never saw a spike. Is this because of all live rock/sand? Brought water sample to store and nitrite/nitrate were very high, did I skip the ammonia spike stage? Been running an emperor 400 dual bio-wheel filter w/ just the wheels, no filter media from the start. I also have 2 damsels, (had 3, 1 killed the other) been in ther e about 1.5 weeks and seem happy and healthy. I've only cycled fresh water tanks so a little confused. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If your live rock came cured, then it's a possibility that you would see little or no cycle. The ammonia spike can go quickly or not come at all. As long as you are still seeing nitrites, your cycle isn't complete yet. It can take several weeks.

i was told 4-6 weeks and wanna do this right so have been planning on the 6 week part, I'll have my 29 gallon sump/fuge up and running this weekend with prob 40 lbs more live sand and will pick up a complete salt water test kit, (any recommendations there?) Another 30 lbs coming in 2 days, the select pick :D! Was just weirded out by not seeing ammonia spike.

If you have nitrite than no you didn't skip a cycle.The ammonia probably came and gone so fast you missed it.It may not take four to six weeks since you used cured live rock and all live sand.I use the inexpensive API master test kit($20) which includes ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and pH.I use the more expensive Salifert kits for calcium,akalinity and magnesium.There kinda expensive but you can do 100-200 test with them.I believe they are $15-20 for each test online at Dr. Foster and Smith.

Back