Copepods ??????

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
Would It Be Beneficial To Add Copepods To My Tank To Seed My Rocks And Sand.......my Lfs Has "live" Copepods And I Know That They Are Great For Feeding Certain Fish And Fuges But I Was Thinking It Could Be Good To Add To My Tank Being That My Rock Is Not Live Rock... ????? What Does Anyone Think...need Opinions Before I Just Drop The Pods !!!!

It won't hurt. But live pods are EXPENSIVE. I have always seeded my refugium with bottles of live pods. They will show up eventually on their own, but it can take a while for that to happen.

Yeah, I Thought 24.95 For A 6 Oz Bottle Was Kinda High, But If Its Worth It !!!! Then Thats What I Will Do.

I have never added them intentionally. I rely on what I feed my fish with frozen food for their sustanence

-Doc

???? I Kinda Lost Ya There Dr. ???? I Dont Have Any At All In My Tank... So Was Thinking About Adding Them So That They Are There???

I found that they come attached to corals when you buy them. most corals are attached to a small piece of live rock, which has pods on them. I have them in my tank, but never have added them. Up to you if you want to jump start the population, but I do not think it is necessary

-Doc

I'll bet you got more pods in there than you think.I personally would spend that money either on a new coral or a new turkey call,but thats just me.

Just talk another reefer out of a couple of gallons of water from their mature tank. Preferably get the water after the lights go out. Also pods like rubble. A small pile of 1/2" to 1" rock will support hiding and homes for a lot of pods. Substrate with large pieces have heavier pod levels but have bigger detritus problems. Pods can be had for around $10 on line for a mixed inoculation or $20-25 for a pure specific culture. Just use your search engine. Plankton cultures works fine, as does phytoplankton cultures. Most places that sell phytoplankton cultures also sell pod cultures.

Back