Controllers

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I'm starting to think more about controllers and wondering what would be the best choice for my tank, something that won't break the bank. I want to control temp with a heater and at least one fan, if not two. Also want to control my lighting. I have two daylight ballasts I'd like to have independent control over and a third moonlight ballast. Would also like the ability to measure at least ph. But I do not see adding any kind of dosing equipment, i just don't have the room for it under my small tank. So most of the fancy probes aren't needed.

So what should I be looking at?

Wow, ok now i'm confoosed. :11: lol

So which one of those would be what i need? One of the "cheap" ones, hopefully?! One thing i noticed is that I have 5 powerheads plus 3 light plugs so that takes up all 8 outlets right there. Of course though I didn't mention controlling powerheads in my first post but since those controllers mentioned it, there ya go. Plus i have my main system pump, my skimmer, my phosban reactor, two fans, heater, sump light (forgot about this one in my first post). I think that's it. :faint: Maybe some of those could be ganged up on one outlet with a small extension.

What kind of powerheads? If they are Koralia's (which I think they are) they aren't made to run on a wavemaker. The constant on/off will kill them. If you want to run Koralia's on a wavemaker, your best bet is to use a Seio wavemaker since it doesn't completely turn off the pump like a normal wavemaker. It powers them down to about 50% and then back up to 100%.
I don't see any reason to hook up your main pump, skimmer pump or phosphate reactor to a controller. They all should be running all the time, except for maintenance.
So, I think your down to lights, temp (heater,fans), pH and maybe ORP in the future if you run ozone, for the features you need for a controller.

Capt, i was thinking main pump because I turn it off for feeding.
You are correct about skimmer and reactor though, those can stay on.

For the powerheads, i thought i read that it does a soft start making it fairly safe for the powerheads?
4 are koralias and one is a tunze nanostream 6045

Back