Confused

tubz

Reefing newb
Here is a history of where my problems started.
(We bought a 90 gallon tank about a month and a half ago from a local fish store. We had him come and do the setup. It was set up with a sump underneath, a sock filter and pump in the sump. The live sand was added and about 10 pounds of live rock and 10 of base rock. About 2 days later he said it was safe to add our 2 clown fish. About 2 weeks later he added another 50 pounds or so of live rock and 20 of base rock. We are new to this so we trusted everything he said. When we wanted to add new fish he said it was fine. We were up to a yellow tang, the 2 clown, a blue tang, flame angel, and a dottyback. Also 10 turbo snails and 10 other kind. 1 diamond gobie, a tiger shrimp, fire shrimp, and a cleaner shrimp. Also a sea urchin, and some small starfish.
Our turbo snails have all since died, the last 3 soon after he did a 20 gallon water change 2 weeks ago. Also over the past 3 days i lost the flame angel, blue tang and today the dottyback.
I am trying to learn what to do now as I don't trust him.
Was that too many too soon?
We were never told about tank cycling, or to check anything within the water. I bought a test kit, our ph is around 8
ammonia and nitrite are near zero and nitrate maybe 20-40.
I also just put in a powerhead yesterday which we werent told we should have, besides the sock filter in the sump do i need anything else? Protein skimmer etc?
The tank has been cloudy since almost the beginning and has algae on sand, rocks. What do I do and why are my fish and snails dying? )

That has been close to 3 weeks since the last fish was removed from that tank. Since then there is still a cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, tiger shrimp, sea urchin and about 10 nass snails living in it. They were in there from near the start also. The shrimp have molted quite often so I assume they are all good. On Wednesday we bought a diamond goby and put it in a quarantine tank. Today after several water changes the quarantine tank still had ammonia around .50 that I couldn't seem to get down. The water in the display tank is ph 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate .20 So I thought it would be time I could put the goby in there. He seemed ok for a couple hours, kinda looked like breathing heavy though, and then he started to swim to the top and jump. He landed back on the rock and next thing we knew he is on the sand dead. Could he have been sick from too high of ammonia in the quarantine tank? Or am I just not meant to have fish

You're correct in not trusting that dude. You really need 1 to 2 pounds of live rock per gallon of water. Try not to get too frustrated, this is a hobby that requires patience and tons of research if you want to be successful.

Check out this link. Read, read, read.............................

Reefkeeping Articles

Wow! You got swindled majorly!

https://www.livingreefs.com/cycling-tank-adding-fish-and-corals-t26452.html

Read this, I wrote this so people can understand

You CANNOT add any fish till ammonia and nitrite are at zero, these two elements are incredibly poisonous to everything in your tank.

Also, you should never add more than about 1 fish every few weeks. He has made a big mistake with you,

Next, you should have a few powerheads with decent strength to get water in the tank turning over.

Also, inverts are even more sensitive to nitrates as they are to ammonia and nitrite.

Nitrates of 20-40 is incredibly high for them, and you must do water changes to get it back down under 10 and as close to 0 as possible. If you check your phosphate level, which is another waste element, you will see it will be quite high, do water changes to get this to 0 as well.

The fish chosen for your tank are at least good together and for your size, but you must adhere to these few items and get your tank under control yourself because this guy cannot be trusted!

The filter sock is fine in the tank but must be cleaned regularly. Depending on space in your sump, I would suggest you get a skimmer rated for at least a 150g tank to look after everything properly.

You should first work on your cleanup crew when you get the tank running, adding some slowly to get the tank under a comfortable load, then add your FIRST fish, not 6 fish. Nothing good in a reef tank happens quickly, but bad things can crash your tank overnight.

+1 Everyone

However, if you are using tap water you might never get your nitrates down to suitable level. Also a blue tang is not a good fit for your tank, they really need an 8ft long tank.

Because you did add your fish to the display tank without properly QT him, there is no point in QTing any other fish. But he very well could have died from ammonia toxicity from the water in the QT tank, even if he was only in there for a few hours.

However you never mentioned acclimating the goby to either tank, which could have also been a major reason for his death. If you did acclimate him, how did you do it?

In the quarantine tank the whole thing was filled with rodi water and the display tank has has 2 water changes done with rodi water also since i purchased the unit. I drip acclimated the goby for both tanks for about an hour each time before he was introduced into the tank.

Back