Completely lost some1 please explain....

fishsticks

No clue about reefs
ok sofar no1 can help me in understanding this question about lighting...

in my biocube i have 1 solid actinic 36watt PC and 1 solid 10,000daylight 36watt PC.. now someone told me that both those lights working together put out a total of 72watts in my tank.. another person told me that both these lights together put out only 36watts of coral needed light. so does that mean the total watts in your tank for coral is not added but devided by 2 from the watts put out by an actinic and a daylight? or is it added like the 72watts example up top...

my second question is they have those 50/50 PC lights.... say i buy a 36watt 50/50 PC isnt that considered 18watts of daylight and 18 watts of actinic?? or is it just a total of 36watt coral needed light? and if thats tru how can this 50/50 PC 36watt put out just af much needed light as 2 PC lights one solid daylight 36watt and 1 actinic 36watt..

or they designed the 50/50 PC to be just as good as 2 PC 1 day 1 actinic

pcs lets say a 96w bulb only puts out 96watts not 182watts. the 50/50 bulbs are great for getting a good even spread of light on the tank

ok sofar no1 can help me in understanding this question about lighting...

in my biocube i have 1 solid actinic 36watt PC and 1 solid 10,000daylight 36watt PC.. now someone told me that both those lights working together put out a total of 72watts in my tank.. another person told me that both these lights together put out only 36watts of coral needed light. so does that mean the total watts in your tank for coral is not added but devided by 2 from the watts put out by an actinic and a daylight? or is it added like the 72watts example up top...
When figuring tank wattage,you count the full wattage of both actinics and whites.So with 2 36 watt bulbs,you've got a full 72 watts of light.Just 2 different color bulbs.
my second question is they have those 50/50 PC lights.... say i buy a 36watt 50/50 PC isnt that considered 18watts of daylight and 18 watts of actinic?? or is it just a total of 36watt coral needed light? and if thats tru how can this 50/50 PC 36watt put out just af much needed light as 2 PC lights one solid daylight 36watt and 1 actinic 36watt..
The 50/50 PCs actually give you whites and actinics in one bulb.
or they designed the 50/50 PC to be just as good as 2 PC 1 day 1 actinic

Hope that helps some.

so the 50/50 bulb gives out 18watts of actinic and 18watts of daylight correct adding up to 36watts correct?

if they both add up to watts can i replace my daylight 10,000 36watt bulb with another actinic 36watt and still have a functional 72watt tank?

Atinics do not put out light corals can use. Instead they put out light that can help morph a coral and are mainly for viewing purposes.

so it would be best to add more daylight and less actinic? but just enough actinic to have that crisp look?

do u think this would work out ok? by saying daylight gives out mainly what coral need i have a biocube with 4 slots for PC 36watt bulbs... can i add 3 PC daylight and 1 actinic? would that give an even more value of light coral can use instead of the 2 actinic 36watt PC and 2 daylight 36watt PC? that would put me up to 108watts of daylight and 36watts of actinic total of 144watts

Last edited:
i just read up some statements and how fish have adapted for thousands of years and how yellow/red and other color lights donot penetrate the deep sea and how fish r adapted to the blue and how actinics play an important roll in that. unless your with metal halides then thats a different quality of light but im concerned about PC not halides so yea ill just even out the actinics and daylights. 50/50

one more question...

since the 50/50 is a total of 36watts wouldnt a solid 36watt daylight and 1 solid actinic 36watt penetrate deeper than 2 50/50 36watt PC totalling 72watts. because that one 36watt daylight is a solid and so is the actinic 36watt. and those 2 50/50 r 2 18watts daylight sides and 2 18watt actinic adding up 36watt each.??? get what im saying? which one would penetrate deeper in water 1 solid 36watt daylight and 1 36watt actinic or 2 50/50?

There going to penetrate the same because either way you go,you've got 36 watts of whites and 36 watts of actinics.You just going a diferent route with the bulb placement.

Back