cleaning up my rock

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
Ok, heres the deal. All my corals have been transferred to the new tank, all I have left is a pile of rock, some snails and a few crabs etc. There is alot of life on this rock I want in my new tank, including tons of mini brittle stars, but there is alot of crap I don't want, mainly anthelia, long green hair algae, and a good amount of bubble algae. Whats the best method of attack for getting rid of the bad stuff while keeping the good?

you will have to pick all the bubble alage of by hand without breaking them. and as for the rest of the rock i have use a bottle brush since it does not have very hard brissles and the seemed to work good for me.

I was thinkin about throwing a blanket over it for 4 or five days, and seeing what it kills off. My main concern is starting a cycle in the new tank by throwing it in after killing a bunch of anthelia and stuff.

you may kill all the bad things but when it dies it will just dump all the nutrients back into the tank that may cause thing to get worse but i dont know.

Brushing would probably be the best route.Thats what I did with all my rock Saturday.Every single piece.
I would pull the Anthelia off the rock and rubberband it to some rubble.Surly you can trade it at your LFS.

Back