cleaner crew?

MamawVal

Reefing newb
I want to know which snails and or crabs I should have in my tank for cleaning? I only have 2 snails I was sold last year at my LFS, (which has since closed... I now have to travel at least 60 miles to find one now.) I think they are the narcissis (sp) ones.
PS...along with the fish I have listed below, I also have a carpet anemone, a condy (purple tip) a long tenticle condy or anemone (?) a zenia, a leather coral, a toadstool leather (I think), a small zoo & a feather duster.
I have recently started a 30 gal. tank in order to put my choc. chip starfish in since everyone told me it would eat my corals (thank goodness he hasn't so far) I just have to wait for it to get cycled.
Can I add a cleaner crew or anything to the 30 gal. yet? It was stared on 1/28/08.
Hope I haven't sounded too confussing! lol

I would wait a few more weeks before adding a cleanup crew to the 30 gallon. they won't have anything to eat right now.

the nassarius snails are fine to clean the sand bed. I would get a few to clean the rocks and glass. look for a mixture of snails such as turbos, astrea, cerith, nerite and such.

Wait until the new tank is cycled before adding any cleaner crew (ammonia and nitrite at zero). Your nitrates need to be pretty low too (less than 20). Fishbait is right on about the type of snails to get. Nassarius (the ones you have) are excellent for cleaning the sandbed. I would skip the hermit crabs because they will kill your snails for their shells. I'm a fan of a hermit free system, although lots of people still like them.

Back