Clams?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I had mentioned earlier I wanted to eventually add a clam to my tank. Now I'm reading the requirements are 9w/gallon? Wow, isn't that alot? I thought I'd be fine at 4.5w/gallon which is what I'm running now. 9W? Am I doomed?

If your running T-5s you'll be OK.If your lights are PCs I wouldnt risk it.
Beware if you have any starfish too.They like clam meat.At least mine did.

If you can get the clam to stay on the rock.It would be alright about 1/2 way up.
^^^Word :mrgreen:...Also if you keep it on the rocks you might want to move it weekly or something so he doesn't weld himself to that spot. They say its almost impossible to break a clams hold. This idiot at my LFS had some nice clams that were sitting on some rocks, a guy had wanted to buy one and when the owner went to get it, it was STUCK! That clam is still at that LFS to this day. lol

It all depends on the clam.The T. derasa only need moderate light while T. maxima needs intense light.Having your lights,I would stick with the T. derasa and T. crocea(half way up).Let it attach to a rock rubble first before placing one on the rock work.

Crocea is what I'm interested in. The lfs I got the big batch two weeks ago is getting more clams at months end, I'll have to find out what corals I want to add at this point and make a decent sized order so I can have it shipped

I think a crocea clam would be fine under your T5s. And here's a neat trick to get them to unstick their foot: take a butter knife and touch the metal to the foot. It should retract it right away.

I have had my tank up and running for about 3 months now. I also want to add clams at some point. I am currently running Nova extreme lighting system. Is that enough?

I have had my tank up and running for about 3 months now. I also want to add clams at some point. I am currently running Nova extreme lighting system. Is that enough?

Place it on the rock work.Start it on the sand and let it attach to a small rock first.In a week or so,move it up higher off the sand bed.

Back