Chilling to 55 degrees?

ChillDude

Reefing newb
I have a 100gallon tank that I need chilled to between 50 and 55 degrees. How strong would my chiller need to be at a minimum to achieve this? I'm thinking about purchasing an Active Aqua 1/2 HP unit. Any ideas? :)

Thanks.

Yikes! The only tanks I know of that are capable of something like that are the commercial grade restaurant lobster tanks. A regular chiller for this hobby can't be expected to do anything below the 70s. And even then, they use a lot of electricity, and transfer that heat to the surrounding environment, heating the room up.

You must be setting up a temperate tank. I have thought about trying it, cause I could collct my own livestock. keep us posted.

This is going to sound rather unorthodox....but I'm putting a person in this tank.... I will keep you posted though. :P

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Thanks for all the replies and help! Stuart of Coldwater Marine Aquatics got back to me and said that a 1/2 horespower unit should be able to do this. I'll be getting the Aqua Euro Max Chill 1/2 horsepower unit.

As to why? It has to do with cutting edge research into longevity and optimum performance. Cryotherapy is the secret weapon (developed by NASA) that Phelps and Armstrong used in their training.

Google "Wim Hof" or "Jack Kruse Cold Thermogenesis". Click on the first link in each case.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Last edited:
Back