Carbon

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I haven't ran carbon in a couple weeks and I noticed a small algae bloom. My glass is full of green algae in just a half a day. Could not running carbon cause a small algae bloom?

I did a 10 gallon water change tonight and added a bag of carbon, I guess time will tell.

Thanks.

I thought I would try not running carbon on my new system.I got cyano and the glass was getting covered with a dusty green film of algae fast and I do mean fast.I did regular water changes and it did nothing.I decided to go back to carbon and within 2-3 days everything cleared up.I'm now going to run carbon or chemipure either every other week or about two weeks out of the month.

I thought I would try not running carbon on my new system.I got cyano and the glass was getting covered with a dusty green film of algae fast and I do mean fast.I did regular water changes and it did nothing.I decided to go back to carbon and within 2-3 days everything cleared up.I'm now going to run carbon or chemipure either every other week or about two weeks out of the month.

That's exactly what happened to mine. It looks just like dusty green algae. Hey Reef, we discovered a new algae. Dusty Green Algae:bounce::mrgreen: Ok, I need some sleep.

hmmmmmmmmm I haven't run carbon in about 5 weeks. I got a cyano outbreak just this weekend.

I might go back to running carbon again.

Would it be okay if I just fill a media bag with carbon and drop it in the return of my HOB refugium?

Last edited:
yup, just rinse it first. I do run carbon 24/7 and change it every three weeks. It seems to keep the water crystal clear. I am a fan.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

That should be about right Salty.I use about three cups worth in a filter media bag and drop it in the baffle before the return area.I to am a fan of carbon,it makes the water smell less fishy.Sure it removes a little trace elements but so does a skimmer and know how everyone feels about them.

Does everybody feels its ironic that everybody has/is getting algae problems since Biff became a mod?

It's the AFT. We have amazing powers. You make the President of the AFT a Mod, what do you expect?!?! This is just a small part of my plan to take over all of your tanks.

I haven't ran carbon in a month (ran out and haven't remembered to get anymore) and phew. the water is pretty stinky. you better hold you're nose if you open the stand doors to get to the sump!

Back