Carbon

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Can someone explain to me what carbon does for our tanks?

You would swear I was a newbie for asking this question:mrgreen:

Activated carbon is very porous. It absorbs toxins.

I'm in the HVAC industry. (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, Controls)

We use activated carbon on exhaust systems to capture vapors, fumes, volatile chemical vapors, etc. My particular company does a tremendous amount of industrial work in manufacturing plants and process facilities.

Example:
We do a lot of work for the Ball Corporation. Remember your mothers old canning jars? Remember the metal lids? BALL. Well, they also make aluminum cans for Coors, Pepsi, Coke, etc. One particular line in the plant sprays a coating on the inside of the aluminum can--the freshness seal on the inside of the can--it is then run through an oven to cure and bake the lining on. It releases a lot of volotile vapors and thats not good for people and most especially not good around sparks and electricity. BOOM!! We run a 30,000 CFM fan through about 3000 cubic feet of activated carbon filters to trap those vapors. We replace the filters every 60 days at a cost of around $15,000 (our wholesale cost).

In an aquarium, activated carbon can removechlorine, chloramine, heavy metals etc.. I replace it monthly.

It removes odor,discoloration,chemicals, and dissolve organic matter from the water.I read that right off the packaging.I use it to keep my corals from having a chemical warfare against one another.I'm considering only using it on a part time basis instead of 24/7 since it removes some trace elements.

i used it for the same reasons mention above..clear water..odors etc..24-7..i dose trace elements once a week to prevent depletion of them caused by carbon..

I use carbon 24/7. I like the clarity it provides my water, I change it every three weeks. I buy it in sealed media bags and I toss them into my filter socks.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

The thing behind that hawk is that it starts to build bacteria because it is a prime spot and if all your bacteria go there then when you remove it it can cause a cycle. I have used it before, but quite because I didnt want to lose all my trace elements.

Back