buffering Questions

Sorry one more queston. Is there a formula for determining the salinity at 76 deg.? My hydrometer says is allows for temp variations can that be true?

I recommend a floating hydrometer. You will need a cylinder to put the tank water into to properly read the result. Some 1" aquarium ridgid tubing and a plastic base glued on the bottom works nicely. anyway with a floating hydrometer you need to know what the hydrometer is calibrated at. then see the link below for the conversion. (Sorry link not longer available)

If you are using a refractometer you do not need to adjust for temp.

If you are using one of the swing arm types/ I dont like um no adjustment needed.

Note: Full salinity seawater contains 35 to 37 parts per thousand salt. 4.7 to 5 oz. per gal and apprx. 2.7 to 3 lbs of artificial sea salts make up 10 gal of full salinity seawater./// True specific gravity of full strength seawqter (35%) is 1.0260. A standard hydrometer calibrted at 59+F (15 degrees C) reads 1.0234 sg at 77 *F (25 *C). Seawater at a salinity of 30% has a true specific gravity of 1.0222. At 30% a standard hydrometer reads 1.096 sg at 77*F.

The above note is just to make a point. some hydrometers (floating type glass are also calibrated at a diff. temp) To set this to bed. Temperatures of 75 to 79 usually results in an additon of 0.002 to the reading on the hydrometer, example if your hydrometer read 1.023 and your water temp. is 77, the actual specific gravity of your tank is 1.025. (also read a floating hydrometer at water level not at the curlup.)

Last edited:
Yes it is a swing arm, I just replaced it yesterday. Again that is all they sell unless I go online. Can you recommend a good refractometer?

The swing arm ones are okay as long as you replace them frequently... I replace mine every six months, but am planning on getting a refractometer when I place my next online order (I usually do one every 2 months or so). Refractometers are available on www.marinedepot.com for around $40.

The swing arm type needs to be calibrated. It should have come with instructions on how to calibrate. The process is by testing with distilled or r/o water to see what the read is or read isnt, and to set a correction factor for your actual readings. if you did not get instructions on calibration and use have your lfs get them for you. it is very important to not skip this item so you will be sure to end up with a correct reading.

as for the refractometer you will find um from apprx. 40 dollars up to over 100 dollars. Any refractometer will be better than the swing arm or the floater.

I am using a low end refractometer cost apprx. 44 dollars, but, I am also using a pinpoint salinity monitor and will have a large floating hydrometer as back up. So a lot of information. your swing arm just needs to be calibrated and thourghly cleaned after each test as some minute residue will remain from the salts and will eventually affect the test. Hope something here will help you decide which way to go. keep us posted.

you also want to soak your swing arm in vinegar once a month to get rid of salt residue. And make sure there are no bubbles on the arm when you fill it with saltwater both of these can give you a false reading.

Back