blue leg crabs vs cyano

I've never seen mine eat it either, but I read it in a book on algae I had, so I figured, why not, I'll buy a few more...I'll report my findings!

yeah, I brought the alk to 8.4, running good water params, good flow, high 02, and a phos reactor, and still fighting it. Trying to get my gsp to proliferate as much as possible to be a competitor for the nutrients - the areas that have GSP seem to have a lot less of the cyano...

I don't think the hermits will touch cyano. If I recall correctly, it is a bacteria, not an actual algae, although it feeds off the light.

I don't think the hermits will touch cyano. If I recall correctly, it is a bacteria, not an actual algae, although it feeds off the light.

absolutely correct.... cyano bacteria, to my knowledge is not really edible by anything we put in our tanks... fish and cleaners may move it around a bit getting to what they want that is underneath it making it look like they have eaten it.

I have had success in the past by increasing the flow, reducing the lighting time and wetter skimming..... and most importantly of all.... patience!

good luck

I have had success in the past by increasing the flow, reducing the lighting time and wetter skimming..... and most importantly of all.... patience!

These suggestions are about all you can do. I don't know of anything that eats cyano either. If you have strong flow in your cyano-infested areas, the cyano will have a hard time staying attached to the substrate.

PS -- if all else fails, you can use ChemiClean, which is very effective. However, the cyano builds up an immunity to it over time, so it won't be as effective if you try to use ChemiClean again at some point.

Thanks Biff. I know you'd agree: I'd prefer to fix the reason, not the symptoms, if able. I'm actually surprised the cyano can attach, I feel like I have pretty good circulation; no real dead spots. I'm hoping if I can keep the GSP growing, that will help...

Back