Bleaching a live rock

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
I have a piece olive rock that was part of an aquarium crash due to ammonia spike, yes my fault, how do I clean it so it can be added to a new tank?

You dont need to clean it. You can just put it in the new tank. It may have some risidual nitrates embedded in it, but that will disappear. Adding live rock that has been out of water for more than about 5 minutes will cause some die off and in some case can cause a cycle.

Hey JMCK, there you are coming to my rescue again. I have put it in the new tank and my Ammo is going through the roof (8) since I put it in. I'm neutralizing it with Ammo Lock, I've got Prime, I've got Stability, I did a moajor water change yesterday, and the levels went right back up with in hours.

What can I do?

You need to properly cycle your tank if you are having ammonia issues. Why are you getting so much ammonia? Did you add a bunch of fish at once, over feed or something else?

I would NOT bleach it.. i mean why are you going to bleach it in the first place?? Because its causing Ammonia issues?? Just leave it in the tank i say and wait for the Ammonia to come down by itself.
But i didnt really understand why your bleaching it, but just thought i would voice my opinion! ;)

Slim, i seem to be a serial poster here lately ;) If you dont have any fish, dont worry about it, let the cycle kick up and die down naturally. If a rock is causing the cycle the tank is not ready for fish! just give it time and you will see normal levels again. The CUC should be fine :)

Hey Waddi, I thought this is the rock causing my Ammo to go through the roof again, in 3 days I'm at an 8 on the ammo scale.

It appears majority says leave the rock alone, so I'll just leave it be and monitor, maybe the Stability will kick in, and I'll keep up the ammo lock to nuetralize.

Thanks man.

Have you used "Stability" from Seachem?

They say I should have a fish in there to create the waste to feed the bacteria, bu do I risk it, with an 8 reading?

No, you dont need fish to create bacteria. The point of the cycle is to create bacteria. Ammonia increasing will feed the bacteria you have, which will change the ammonia into nitrites then into nitrates.

Also, I would not be using ammo lock or any chemicals. Just let it run its course and you will hace a good tank running in no time.

Having a fish in the tank won't create bacteria. The waste from the fish (ammonia) causes existing bacteria to reproduce more. You already have more than enough ammonia in your tank. Adding a fish with levels that high would be a death sentence for the poor animal.

You should never add fish to start a cycle, or during a cycle. Putting in some food to rot accomplishes the same thing.

i agree with what everyone has said so far,dont bleach the rock,quit using amo-lock because if its chemicaly nutralized then your not letting the bacteria do its job and your going to end up with issues because there is nothing for the bacteria to feed on therefor no growth and hence you never get a fully mature tank

You have coral in there??
You should really stop with the ammo lock and see if anyone will take care of your coral while its cycling.
What type of coral??

yea,you didnt mention you had corals in it,im surprised they are still alive,yea if you can foster your corals with someone else that would be best

Back