Black Spotted Boxfish

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
Went to tyhe fish store and seen this cute Boxfish. The man said it would be fine with the Pseudochromis, Coral Beauty and Clarki Clown. Well, after acclimating him for an hour and a half, he was swimming around, none of the other fish were messing with him. That was 2 days ago. Now, he's behind the rocks and has stayed there all day. Is that normal for that kind of fish ?

Attachments

• IMG_2346.webp
    IMG_2346.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 979
They are very timid fish. And they are also toxic -- did your LFS tell you that? ;)

They are pretty hard to keep, and are usually considered "expert only". When scared, they excrete a toxin that can kill everything else in your tank. It's almost certain that they release these toxins when they die as well. They also require excellent water quality. They are extremely susceptible to disease, and they are often hard to get eating.

The thing is, they need to be kept in tanks with other peaceful fish. Your pseudochromis, clown and coral beauty are considered pretty aggressive. Their passiveness, tendency to not eat, and their susceptibility to disease makes them a very poor choice for our aquariums. I hate to say it, but I don't think it was a good choice.

No, he did not tell us that. I found that out when I got home and looked him up. I am going to call tomorrow and see if they will exchange him for something else. What would be a good choice ? I just want one more fish. The rest will be sand diggers and other little creatures.

Thanks, Bifferwine

Well, took the Boxfish back and got a Sailfin Tang. He is pretty !!!! The fish place we go to is very good at pleasing the customer.

Thanks for all your help......

Me too, the Sailfin is neat. When we got there, the guy got a book that had every fish in it. So, when I asked about a certain fish, he looked it up.
A happy ending to an almost disastrous day !!!!

Here are pics of the Sailfin and the Coral Beauty. I love them both !!!! So pretty.
Thanks to all of you, you've been so helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_2366.webp
    IMG_2366.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2374.webp
    IMG_2374.webp
    53.2 KB · Views: 277
Thank you both, I am very happy with them. I can sit for hours and just look at the tank. Fish do the funniest things...

Back