Beginning Additions

leon1972

Reefing newb
As I have been cycling my first tank I have been doing some research on what I want to put in it. I want a COLORFUL tank for now. I am looking at a pair of clownfish, Orange/Green Colony Polyps and a Blue Tuxedo Urchin.
I have read the Polyps take care of themselvs for food as they contain a Symbotic Alage that they feed on.
The Urchin concerns me though because I read it has a voracious appetite for algae. Is there a certain time period for algae to build up I should wait to add this intersting and cool looking fellow? Are there any visual cues I should use or any ways I can speed up the algae process?

You never want to speed up anything in the saltwater hobby. Especially algae! I'd wait a while to add an urchin, they don't tolerate high nitrates and aren't that forgiving overall. Stick with the easier guys in the beginning. Just my two cents.

+1 Sarah. I waited about 6 months to let my 180 mature before I moved my long spine urchin over from my 36. And after only a few days I can follow the trail he has taken (eaten) across my rocks removing the algae and coraline along the way.

Im thinking a pair of clown fish, a pair of Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse and the Orange/Green Colony Polyps to start. NOT all at once, of course. lol

no, clowns are all born male and the dominate one will become female. All flasher wrasse are born female and the dominate one will become male.

Back