ATO heads up

ccCapt

Reef Hacker
I have a dual switch sump ATO from Autotopoff.com. It's been working flawlessly for about a year...till today, but it did what it was supposed to do. I went down the basement where my sump is located and noticed the sump had way more water in it than it should. Actually, it was filled up to the safety shut off switch. I have a ton of tube worms growing in my sump and 1 decided to take up residence on the shaft inside the 1st float switch, which prevented the float from rising and shutting down the pump.

My sump is 55g, so I have lots of room, but those who have a smaller sump and use an ATO with a float switch may want to check the switch every so often. I never cleaned mine before, but now I will make it a point to check it every month or so. It takes 2 secs to take it out of the water, flip it over and look inside.

So close..........

ato1_2-10.jpg

ato2_2-10.jpg

It's ironic that happened since you were telling me about it when I was over your house the other week. Good for that emergency switch! It's nice when companies design their equipment right and it actually works.

Just checked mine out. Nothing special up in there, just the usual stuff and a little salt creep. Cleaned it out and now it's as good as new

Back