ato advice

Brian_G

overly obsessed
i want to set up an ato. i just think its required now. i dont have a ro/di water filter so i still have to tote water. i would like to get a float valve to put in my sump to control the water level but since i cant use gravity to get the water in the sump( i cant get the can off the floor, there is nothing to set it on) i need to use a pump. obviously pumps dont get small enough to fit into the hole on a water can. so i would have to go with a very small external pump if possible. but what is going to turn the pump on and off on the ato?
i would love to get this set up considering i add about a gallon a day and this will help keep my salinity more stable(not that a gallon out of 100 is going to make a big difference)

I've been thinking about adding an ATO also. I'm thinking of using
a spare maxi jet 1200 for the pump. It won't fit in my jugs but I can put some tubing on the intake, rest it on top and run tubing from the output to the sump. In going to get a spare lid and drill a hole in the top so I can just keep the pump on the lid, the place the lid on either jug. I don't think the pump would run hot either. Considering it would only run for about 5 secs at a time.

yeah im not really worried about it running hot its only going to be running for a few sec at a time. but what is going to turn your pump on and off when needed?

drsfostersmith.com has a ATO controller but its $100 and im looking at hopefully doing it with a float valve or something similar.

I bought my ATO from AutoTopOff.com. The unit turns the powerhead on to pump water into the sump when the water level drops below the float switch and it turns the pump off when the water level rises to the float switch.

Here's a few pics of my setup. These are the float switches in the sump. When the water level drops below the lower switch, the pump is turned on and it's shut off when the water reaches the switch. The upper switch is a safety switch in case the lower switch fails.
ato1_5-09.jpg

This is my top off container. You can see the powerhead at the bottom of the container that pumps the water into the sump. The float valve near the top is connected to my RO/DI unit. I only turn it on when the water level gets low. The float valve shuts off the RO/DI when it gets near the top. This is only to stop the container from overflowing in case I forget it's on.
ato2_5-09.jpg

well, you could do it on the cheap like i did, i used a $8 electronic programmable timer from harbor freight, a $10 60GPH "fountain pump" from harbor freight, and an automatic pet watering dish from tractor supply, a couple PVC parts and thats really about it...

Mine turns the pump on for 2 min every 3 hours, the pump pushes water from a bucket in have in my stand, into the float valve i got from the pet water dish, then that controlls the water level in the sump...

simple, reliable, and cheap.

So those ones on That site cccapt have a plug in that turns the pump on and off? They seem pretty nice. No problems with yours?

Yes. You plug the pump into the unit and that's controlled by the float switches. When the water level drops, the pump turns on and when it rises, the pump shuts off.
Mine has been working flawlessly.

How do you turn off your RODI unit, CC? I'd like to have a setup like yours, but I want my RO unit permanently attached to the storage container so I don't have to worry about forgetting to fill it...

Capt has you covered. I came here looking for one too and he pointed me in their direction. I have had it setup a couple weeks now and it's working perfectly. My only worry is that I'm not cleaning it because I don't know how! Lol. There are these little pvc covers on it to stop snails from sticking anything.

I'm buying another of the same type for a small tank i want to setup. Hands down they are solid and work well.

How do you turn off your RODI unit, CC? I'd like to have a setup like yours, but I want my RO unit permanently attached to the storage container so I don't have to worry about forgetting to fill it...
My RO/DI unit is upstairs in the kitchen under the sink. I ran a line from there to the basement storage container. I have a shut off valve on the RO/DI line right before the float valve on the container. The only time I turn it on is to fill it and the float valve prevents the container from overfilling if I forget it's on.

Back