Asterina Anomal outbreak

buddy08

SPS Addict
ive been finding these guys for about 2 months now.. first were some bigger starfish with 3-4 legs, and now im finding smaller ones with roughly 5 legs or even more... everytime i see one, i pick it out of the aquarium and kill it. come home today and found 6 of these fellas on one rock, all are less than 2mm wide so theyre obviously spawns or offsprings of these things. are they reef safe? i have some lps, sps, and soft corals and am beginning to think these guys may be a root cause of whats bothering my kenya tree coral. if it is, and these arent reef safe... how can i get rid of them?

Other than manual removal every time you see them I am not aware of anything else that will go through them like a harlequin shrimp. I would assume if an abundant food source like the Asternia star is available they would leave your other stars alone, but I am not the foremost authority on this. Im sure someone else will chime in on that though

No, they will eat the linka first because that is their preferred food source. If you cant move the starfish to another tank while they work on the asterinas then i you are going to have to stick with manual removal.

Remember that they are obligate starfish eaters so once the asterinas are gone if you cant find them a new home you are going to have to provide them with starfish to eat.

I let my asterinas get to plague proportions. Some got to be as big as a dime and turned into softy eating machines. Kenyas and palau green trees along with a patch of zoos took quite a beating. A couple months ago I got a harlequin and he has brought the star population down to about 25% from where it was. Very cool critter but comes with special requirements as little fish mentioned. Here is a couple short vids of my star assassin.
This is the first day I got him. Swam right over to a big star,ripped it off the glass and had a good snack.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDK0MGyn5ZE]Harlequin shrimp attacking asterina - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a vid of me playing keep away with a star.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z23MrZL9H8]playing with harlequin shrimp - YouTube[/ame]

Back