Aquatraders: MH vs T5ho

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I really want to get the professional setup(48" 216w individual reflectors and built in timers for 110), but they are out of stock.

My current pendant light covers about 1/3rd of the tank and I really really want to get something different so I can start filling the tank.

Aquatraders also has a MH setup(500w, dual(250) MH horizontal for 200$). I'm seriously considering it. My only worry is the heat...Right now with that pendant I don't need a fan, with my heaters on..the tank stays 78-80. I really hate having a fan. I have an ATO, but every 6 weeks I've been replacing the dumb things becasue they slowly become less efficient and eventually stop working.

So, MH or T5 for my new 55g tank? I want to have the option of keeping anything in the tank.

I'm open to suggestions on something else in and around that price range.

neither on will work good for your tank to keep everything the t5's are only 4 bulbs you will want at least 6 4 is good for lps and softies and the mh will be too much for a 55 it will be very hard to keep lps and many softies since they do not need that much light. in my old 50 i had 10w of light per gallon and i could not keep any mushrooms they just melted and lps just bleached

neither on will work good for your tank to keep everything the t5's are only 4 bulbs you will want at least 6 4 is good for lps and softies and the mh will be too much for a 55 it will be very hard to keep lps and many softies since they do not need that much light. in my old 50 i had 10w of light per gallon and i could not keep any mushrooms they just melted and lps just bleached

Damn..yeah, that's what I want to avoid. I really want to be able to keep softies as well as some sps. But mostly focus on LPS.

So what do you recommend for me James? Glad you ersponded..you sent me a link about your lights in chat one night, wanted to look into it but lost the paper I wrote it down on.

well you can get the one dcan linked to and just hang them high or

these are the ones that i have on my tank. call them and ask about them i bet you can get them cheaper if you call them

Catalina Aquarium
damn, almost 600$. Are the lights really that good and worth that much money? I'll call them in a bit and see what they can do for me, but I can't see it being much.

Lights are so expensive. That why aquatraders has gained such popularity.

No kidding. I know they're probably THE most important part of a tank, aside from a skimmer..but damn.

I might end up buying two of the 89$ aquatrader 216w lights. That's something I hadn't considered before..not sure how well they'd fit though.

OK. What if I get that double 250w MH and I purposely use low PAR value bulbs. Won't that help sorta tone down the burn of the lights?

I measured my dads lights(he has a 36" t5 from aquatraders), and it would be damn near impossible to fit on my tank!

So back to square one. So I'm not sure what to do...but I don't think I'm up to spending 400 on lights :*( At least not anytime real soon : /

I think a 4-bulb T5 setup is perfectly fine for a 55 gallon tank. I ran a 4-bulb T5 setup over my old 55 for years, and was able to keep all the corals I wanted, including SPS and an anemone... Obviously, having a setup with more bulbs and/or individual reflectors is better, but that doesn't mean the 4-bulb setup won't work!

I think a 4-bulb T5 setup is perfectly fine for a 55 gallon tank. I ran a 4-bulb T5 setup over my old 55 for years, and was able to keep all the corals I wanted, including SPS and an anemone... Obviously, having a setup with more bulbs and/or individual reflectors is better, but that doesn't mean the 4-bulb setup won't work!

I'm really considering just ordering one of the lights that doesn't have the individual reflectors because some of my stuff is starting to suffer...Can you replace reflectors in those things easy enough?

Getting to where I really need to do something and money is tight right now.

My adivce is don't do it. The ballast in them are weak and poor customer service. I bought the 48" Pro model and had nothing but problems are trying to return it was a b!tch.

On my 55 I had a 4 bulb nova with the single reflector. All I have is LPS, some zoos, and a few mushrooms. You can do SPS but just keep them up higher. I still have this same light on my new 75. I will be saving money to buy a tek light though. Will probably get the 8 bulb 48" fixture so I can hang it and still use it on a 60" tank when I choose to upgrade again.

Back