Aquarium glass cover.

frugm

Reefing newb
I`m thinking about investing in a glass cover to help with evaporation in my tank. Any thoughts about these, I currently have an over the tank filter so it might be a little bit of a hasstle. And will they be ok with my lights and such?
Thoughts/ Comments, Suggestions?

Thanks Simon

I had glass covers on my 125 for about a year and removed them and went another direction. I was constantly cleaning them, plus they made my tank run hotter than I wanted, and they hinder the gas exchange at the surface.

DONT DO IT! You will trap CO2 and cause the tank to become toxic over time. The reason we run them without tops is to encourage the gas exchange that occurs at the surface in order to keep healthy oxygen levels in the tank.

I wouldnt use glass tops either.Like was already said,they hinder the gass exchange at the surface.Plus they'll hold in heat,block out light once they get covered with salt creep.

i used them for a long time beacuse of the kids but they were a pain to keep clean and they will lessen the evap but by doing that it causes the tank temp to rise evap is a reefers best friend

I'm thinking about getting a glass top too only because we have so much pet hair and a lot of it ends in my tank. There is an area in the back of my tank that is not covered and that gets lots of flow. That or a skimmer should be all the gas exchange you need. I have a plexi cover now and I need to clean every few days. In the summer I put a small fan on my tank and that keeps it cool even with the cover. Unless you have issues with bad stuff (dust, pet hair, kids toys) landing in your tank you may wish to go topless.

Back