another "what fish to add" thread

austingunkel

Reefing newb
So I'm way new to SW had fresh for years, I have a 37 gal with a canister rated at 240 gph and a cheap 150 gph power head 35 lbs live sand and 20 lbs live rock. I have done fish in cycles on FW for years and made the mistake of listening to my lfs about a hardy fish to help cycle. I have a maroon clown in there and that's it, all my levels are perfect and I'm looking to add. After research I have read that maroons are just mean little cusses and will pick on anything you put in. So as the topic states what is safe and size appropriate, I would love a dwarf lion but I get mixed responses on req tank size. I want to keep fowlr in this tank so reef is not an issue. Thanks in advance.

You probably skipped a cycle because you used all live rock, but in the future dont try and cycle with a fish, just toss in a piece of uncooked shrimp it works just as well.

I would remove the maroon because they are mean little things, and then plan out your stocking list. If you do want a maroon, add them very last. Remember you are limited to one fish for every 10 gallons, so you are limited to 4, max of 5 fish in that.

There are lots of good fish out there for a tank that size, I would check out dwarf angel fish, blennies, gobies, clownfish, dartfish, etc.. Check out this site for ideas, there are literally hundreds of good fish out there, its all about what direction you want your tank to take.
Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

Some other improvements I think you need to make for your tank are increasing the amount of rock, get rid of the canister filter and increase your flow.

You can buy dry rocks, which is much cheaper and will become live after being in your tank for a few weeks. I like MarcoRocks Aquarium Products for buying dry rocks. You want 1-2 lbs per gallon.

Canister filters need to be cleaned pretty frequently to prevent water quality issues, which isnt such a big deal in a FOWLR tank, but can still lead to algae problems. You really can just do regular water changes and be just fine, or invest in a protein skimmer.

Having enough flow is super important, you want the volume of your tank turned over about 30x per hour. This will keep your tank well oxygenated, otherwise you can actually suffocate your fish.

I think a dwarf would be ok in 37, they dont move around too much, but they can eat fish that are about the same size as they are so they really limit what you can keep with them.

Yeah I need a skimmer just trying to find one that's size appropriate and doesn't have horrible ratings. I'm not planning on many more fish if I get the dwarf lion but my girlfriend is way attached to out maroon ( she named him demo ) so getting rod of him might be impossible. Would the lion be ok to add with the maroon and does the lion rule out pretty much any inverts that will fit in is mouth?

you could try the dwarf and maroon, it might work especially if the maroon is already pretty big. And yes, the dwarf will eat any type of shrimp you add, but corals, snails and crabs should be ok.

Dwarf will eat shrimp, trust me. No hawkfish, lions hate them, id like to say a small angel but it might be too small to hold out against a lion.

Just make sure the lion has space to turn around and such, mine scrapes easily on rocks and he gets marked up easily. Emerald and hermit crabs are about 50/50. Mine eats them, but they usually get to play in the tank for a week. I have a more aggressive emerald that has lasted quite a while though.

With a lion just dont get attached to anything too small in the tank lol, because if it can fit in his mouth (really big mouth) and if he is hungry enough he WILL eat it.

Get one that eats frozen, fresh is too much of a pain.

The maroon would probably be ok with a lion. And a dwarf angel, if it's decently sized when you add it. Any other fish that would be suitable for a 37 would probably end up being a snack for the lion.

So I stopped by my lfs and was looking around and my girlfriend found a spotfin lion, I told her I liked it and I was thinking about getting one so what does she do? She bought it for me. He is acclimating well and looks great in the tank. Very nice looking fish. Thank you all for the advice.

It may be okay for a bit, but that isn't one of the smaller (dwarf) lions -- it gets pretty large and requires a larger tank than yours. If it is small, it will take a little while to get large enough to need an upgrade, but just keep that in mind. :) We will require pictures!

from what i have read they are very similar in size but the spot fine has more .... intricate spines. these are the only two fish i plan to keep next will be some inverts (lion safe) and lets see if i can figure out how to post pictures.

my tank so far
austingunkel-albums-37-gal-picture1911-37gal.jpg

my maroon demo
austingunkel-albums-37-gal-picture1908-demo.jpg

and mr diablo the spotfin lion
austingunkel-albums-37-gal-picture1909-diablo.jpg

austingunkel-albums-37-gal-picture1910-diablo-1.jpg
i think i got it to work

you dont want to feed your lion live foods, that will just teach him that the fish in your tank are also there for his dinner. Also the feeder fish and shrimp have almost no nutritional value.

Back