Algae-Yay or Nay

Nedim

Reefing newb
Ok, Im super stoked. (I know, fish geek).

Ive got algae starting to grow in my tank. Its not green, its like a golden brown color. Good or bad?

Im taking readings, and so far, it looks like trites are about 1.0 mg/l. Ill update in a few.

If its a golden brown then its probably bad, but dont worry thats normal for new tanks. With the proper care and husbandry it should go away in time, however, you will go thru different kinds as the tank matures.

So, I shouldnt alter anything?

The LR is starting to look a little golden, too. Should I keep the lights off?

I have heard weather you keep them off or not its going to come, sooner or later. Dont know how true that is though. Your tank is just maturing so its normal, and part of salt water unfortunatly. LOL You can increase your flow and keep up with water changes to combate it, when you cycle is over.

Alright, I could use another powerhead for more gph anyways.

My parameters are-

pH-7.8
Nitrites-.8mg/l
KH-7
Ammonia-0mg/l
CO2-4mg/l

What is your phos? Thats were my alge prob is from, but with yours so new its nothing to worry to much about. But you should try to fight it though, to get it to go away and hopfully not come back.

diatoms- rustic colored algae not like hair the best thing to do is invest in some turbo snails I had diatoms got the turbos they have pretty much wiped it out just a suggestion hope it helps.

Dont expect to see any coraline of any consequence until you are able to get your Ph and alkalinity up, lower your co2, and increase your oxygen levels.

Nedim said:
My lights run about 12 hours in the nighttime.

why do you turn on the lights at night? you should have it on during the day. reef tanks are meant to have night and day. when you have the kights on at night then you are giving lights to your tank 24 hours a day. have your lights turn on during the day and off at night. if you want to see your tank at night, invesy in some moonlights. then have your main light to turn in during the day and the moonlights at night when the main lights are out.

depends on the circumstances some people work 3rd shift and have blankets and bags over the windows during the day which is just like period of night.

Back