Algae problem

Twisted_blenny

Reefing newb
Ive got a 29g biocube and I'm starting to get a pretty bad algae prob. Right now I have about 2 turbo snails, and 5 cert snails do u think I should add more or should I just use a magnet cleaner and try and get rid of most of it? What do u guys/gals think?

Watch using a magnet cleaner with the biocube, it may scratch. How long are you running the lights for, do you have any fish, what are you using to feed, and do you use tap or r/o water?

Acrylic magfloat, beef up your CUC that's the best thing to do along side tweeze it and remove it. If you just scrape it off and leave it tour just spreading it quicker

Watch using a magnet cleaner with the biocube, it may scratch. How long are you running the lights for, do you have any fish, what are you using to feed, and do you use tap or r/o water?

No fish just a CUC the tank has been cycling for 2 months I run my 10k and actinc lights for 10hrs and run the moonlights at night

Cycling for 2 months? Have your numbers finally leveled off? I would say 10 hours is a long time to run those lights, when I had my biocube I found it would grow algae very quickly if I had the lights on more than 7 hours.
Are you feeding the tank anything? Tap water can also cause algae issues, are you using tap water? I find that a nice mix of snails helps, it's always good to have a few nass. snails and some astera (sp) I wouldn't add anymore turbo. 2 is plenty for a 29 gal, in my opinion

Ya my numbers have be stable for the last two weeks so I was hoping to add fish and some corals soon I'm not feeding the tank with anything right now and I've been using bottled water to make up for the evap water???

Make sure the bottled water you're using is distilled, Spring water isn't really purified to the level your tank needs and can add to your problems.

I'm assuming that since you brought up using the magnet cleaner that most of your algae problems are on your glass? If so, that's normal and while and cuc will help, everyone in the hobby has to scrape the glass in their tank every so often. Now if you're just talking general algae, certainly adding to your cuc will help but water changes will also make the biggest difference for you because it will remove the things that the algae is using to grow.

Back