Air Bubbles

Eric Noa

Reefing newb
Hey Guys,

I just noticed that Im getting a lot of air bubbles stuck on the back glass and on the rocks. Is that some sort of algae?

are they green? could be bubble algae. if it's just air then you may just need to address the problem of microbubbles in the tank

perhaps coming from you skimmer ? or any powerhead thats drawing in some air..if a powerhead is a tad to close to the surface it can actualy draw air down through a water column and push the air through the tank.

im just taken a stab as a cause here, perhaps better informed individuals will come up with a more likely cause

I will ask for a picture.
It could be that air bubbles are being caught by a film of algea. The bubbles could be gasses that the bacteria and algea produce during respiration.

Also, dianoflagates catch air. Hope it isnt this. They are a pain to get rid of. Does it look kind of snotty looking? Like bubbles on the end of strings?

There are tons of things that can be causing this. So a picture might help a bit

Enough micro bubbles in the water can also be deadly to the livestock,especially fish.
If their gills get a bunch of bubbles stuck in them,then the fish cant breath.

Hey guys, They were just micro bubbles. My water level in the sump was a bit low (I hadn't had time to top it off) and when the water was coming out of the skimmer it was hitting the surface of the water to hard and it was causing a lot of bubbles. I top it off and this morning they were all gone.

Hey guys, They were just micro bubbles. My water level in the sump was a bit low (I hadn't had time to top it off) and when the water was coming out of the skimmer it was hitting the surface of the water to hard and it was causing a lot of bubbles. I top it off and this morning they were all gone.

Good to hear! I had the same problem. I couldn't figure out how to stop the pump from spewing microbubbles, until I realized my sump level was too low. So I mixed up an additional 20g of saltwater, and dumped it in to raise my overall water level. Haven't had micros since!

Back