Air Bubbles

tcarroll

Reefing newb
I installed another Hang on Tank Fuge,and the return feed into tank is giving off a few small air bubbles.I emailed manufacture about problem.Will this be of any harm to tank?

are they micro-bubbles? so small they dont readily rise to the top or just small guys? If just small they will just cause some salt creep if micro they can cause damage to you livestock

They are just small bubbles,it was supposed to have a bubble elimanator with it but i didnt see one in the box.I emailed manufacture about it.In the mean time i stuck a small piece of foam in the end it helped out a little bit.Its not producing a whole lot of bubbles just a few small ones.

If it's not a lot, and it's not filling the tank, don't worry about it. Microbubbles can be harmful to fish, but if there are just a few, and the fish aren't constantly swimming in them, it's no big deal.

This question interests me. Can someone explain to me why bubbles could be a problem? I used to keep a freshwater tank with an air stone. I don't have any bubble issues in my saltwater tank, but always assumed bubbles would simply add to the oxygen in the water.

Thanks in advance.

Air bubbles simply rise to the surface and pop. In saltwater aquaria, we are concerned with dissolved oxygen levels -- oxygen that is dissolved in the water that you can't see (fish get dissolved oxygen from the water to survive, not from taking air bubbles into their gills). Adding an airstone to a tank adds a tiny bit of circulation, but does not add any measurable amount of dissolved oxygen to the water. The oxygen simply rises to the surface, the air bubble pops, and the oxygen is released back into the air. This is why adding air stones does not help to increase dissolved oxygen levels.

In fact, microbubbles of air can be very irritating to fish and are detrimental to their health if they are forced to swim through microbubbles frequently.

As for airstones, in saltwater, they quickly get clogged with salt and stop working anyways. That, and the breaking of bubbles at the surface will cause very irritating salt creep problems on anything that's nearby.

Thanks Bifferwine. I never thought about adding an air stone to my saltwater tank, but always thought I was helping my kids fish (fresh water). So much to learn ...

Back