Aips in fuge

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
For a months or so i didnt touch my fuge and everything is thriving greatly but so are the aips. There are a ton of aips tangled up with the macro algae.

Is this ok? There is not much i can do about it and i dont see any problems so far but just want to be sure. My DT has no aips whatsoever.

Thanks.

They'll be in the DT before long.

Find yourself a nudi and turn it loose in the fuge.

Local club members around here have 1 or 2 nudis that they trade around with each other free of charge. It eats all the aiptasia in one tank and that person puts up a FOR TRADE add in the classified section. Somebody else takes it to clean up their mess and then they put in the classifieds when it's done. I think 15 or 20 people have traded those nudis around over the past year or so.

Or just remove the fuge and dump it all out. Clean it out with scrub brushes and hot water. Refill it with sand and start over. Might work, but I'll bet you have spores in the DT too. It's only a matter of time before they make an appearance in there too.

People do keep them in their fuges for nutrient export, but they put a UV sterilizer downstream to keep them from spreading to the display tank, which will happen eventually.

Well as long as the aips & macro algae get along, i dont have a problem with the aips. In order for them to reach my display, they would have to go thru so many barriers first and if they do eventually reach the DT, there will be 3 peppermints waiting. So im sure i'll be fine.

Thanks!

I read somewhere that aips actually helped keep the tank cleaner,when they were kept in the fuge.
Think about it,They eat whatever touches their tenticles.So they help remove waste from the water.

I would leave them. I have read a lot about how having them can make your tank cleaner/better. I leave them in my overflows and sump.

Like you I have peppermints (8 when i added them) in my dt.

Are peppermints compatible with hermit crabs?

How about with emerald crabs?

I got a bunch of hermits in my tank and 1 large emerald. I'm afraid a peppermint would end up a nice snack.

I also have yellow polyps in my tank. I wouldn't want the peppermints to eat those.:shock:

Are peppermints compatible with hermit crabs?

How about with emerald crabs?

I got a bunch of hermits in my tank and 1 large emerald. I'm afraid a peppermint would end up a nice snack.

I also have yellow polyps in my tank. I wouldn't want the peppermints to eat those.:shock:

Im not sure about the yellow polyps...

Just make sure you get peppermints and not Camel shrimp!! :)

I have my peppermints in with hermits/emerald crab/fairy wrasse/and pajama cardinals.. I added a couple I had ordered from reeftopia which were super small and I think they got eaten. Added larger ones and they are doing well.

Also forgot to add I have one scarlet and one fire shrimp. :)

Yes,peppermints should be fine with hermits.I've had witness in the past,my peppermints taking out a whole colony of yellow polyps,so there is a risk.

Peppermints are fine with the other animals you listed, but they sometimes will eat yellow polyps (the assumption is that the yellow polyps look too much like yummy anemones).

Back