AHH! My MH bulb stopped working!

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
It's an XM 10k (double ended) that's been running daily since January.
Can you tell by looking at it if it's blown or something?
I got home and the glass covering the mh section of my light was cold so i don't know if it even fired at all today.

I don't think you can tell a bulb is bad by looking at it, unless there is something obviously broken on/in it. I've seen bulbs that look brand new and not fire and I've seen bulbs all burned on the inside and fire up perfectly.
Is the ballast warm?
Maybe you can pop the bulb out and try putting a voltage meter on the ends to see if the ballast is putting out power.
If you have a Kill-A-Watt meter you can plug the ballast into it and see if it's drawing any power.

Last edited:
I'm no electrician but I would assume you put 1 lead on each of the end clips. Should be basically the same as if you plug it into a wall outlet to see if that had power.

Ok, i got my new bulb today (geismann 14k coral) and it works.
So i guess the old bulb did blow.
FWIW, the clear part in the center, the inner tube that lights up, was brown all over and on the bottom was a circle of black.

FWIW, the clear part in the center, the inner tube that lights up, was brown all over and on the bottom was a circle of black.
Did it look anything like this?
mh-old1.jpg

mh-old2.jpg

This is a working bulb...so how the bulb looks doesn't really tell if it's good or bad.

Back