Advise for filtration needed...

bearat

Reefing newb
I have 150 gallon with 30 gallon sump/refugium. The tank overflows into sump portion that has 2in sand bed, 4 cleaner clams and a large clump of some kind of plant (chaeto, I think). Then water overflows to the next section traveling thru a 1in thick piece of foam then thru bio balls. The last section contains the protien skimmer, then return pump flows back to tank. I've been browsing thru many of the posts on here and I'm wondering if this is adequate filtration for my tank. I have read posts that refer to 'activated carbon' and also wet/dry filters. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

FYI: I don't currently have alot of inhabitants but I plan to stock up on lots of cool stuff once I ensure that I have everything right... :D

Sump was made by LFS out of a 30 gallon fish tank that I had. They used plexiglass to make 3 different sections which contain what I described in first post. I do not know if there is a name for this type? Sorry to not have the correct names and such, I'm a newbie with a large tank.

Ok Got it. In the first section is the sand and chaeto which sound like the Refurgium then it flows into the second which has foam and bio balls then it the last setiion has the protein skimmer and return pump.

Usually the first section has the protein skimmer then the middle is the refurgium and the last is for the return pump. Instead of using bio balls I would put LR in the refurgium.

Yes Piggy, you got it... I will replace the bio balls with LR as you suggest soon. I have read many posts here that recommend the LR so I was already considering that change. Do you think that I need some other type of filter running along with this? Like maybe one that hangs off back with some carbon in it or something? I don't really have room underneath the tank to add anything there.

I don't run a filter. I made a small section in my sump(1st section) where I put my media when needed. Some run a canister when they need to run media. Do you plan on getting more LR for the DT? How are your parameters?

OOPS!! I just noticed that my experience reads "3 years"... This is incorrect, it should read 3 MONTHS!!! I will try to fix this error... And Thanks for the reply Piggy :D

If you have enough live rock (1 to 2 lbs per gallon) and a good protein skimmer, those in addition to your sump and refugium should be fine for filtration. Many people use a canister filter for a couple days at a time with carbon in it to clarify and clean water, but it's not recommended to run a canister filter 24/7. Basically, protein skimmers and live rock are the best filtration you can have.

Thank you for the advise Bifferwine... It seems I am a little light on LR. I'm thinking that I'll shoot for nearly 2lbs per gallon. Of course it will take time, LR is $$pricey$$ :shock: in my area. For the good stuff with limited hitch hikers that is.

This site and all of you here are GREAT!! It is so nice to have someone to help those of us who are 'clueless'!! Thank you all so much.

You have enough live rock in your tank to keep your system operating well until you start adding much more additional stock in the way of fish and coral. I would suggest you just buy what is called base rock, or even dry aragonite rock at 1/2 to 1/4 th price of live rock that is already inoculated with beneficial bacteria. Unless you want to buy really exceptional rock or rock better than what you already have your better off spending the difference in price on good test equipment or even save it for more fish and coral. Please do remove the bio balls and sponge. And really consider putting your skimmer in the compartment where the water enters the sump. Put the sand bed in the middle, and try to get some live sand from another reefer to add a half inch or so to your existing sand bed. Inches more (to a total of 4 to 6 inches) would be better but do it in steps of a little at a time and preferably from several sources. You will need a light over your sand bed with the algae. There is no need for live rock in your sump/refugium unless you are interested in growing pods and such, more algae would be more beneficial. Running your lights in your sump opposite to your main tank is real good thing as it provides for a more stable tank (less pH and dissolved oxygen swings/changes). If you really want good live rock check out this site. http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com it is the best available. The place where your sponge is in your sump/filter most likely would be a good place for short term occasional bag of carbon. At any rate make sure to remove the sponge/foam unless you plan on washing it every few days. If you have problems with bubbles from your skimmer there are better ways to get rid of them than to use a sponge/foam block.

Last edited:
Back