Adding Rock

NewbReefer

Reefing newb
I want to add some more rock to my reef tank but want to avoid any die off that would start a mini cycle. I know i could get a bunch of live rock from the LFS and cycle it in a tub of saltwater with good circulation but i was wondering how it would be if i were to get some dead rock and boil it to sterlize it and then just introduce it to the tank. would that do?

TIA
Newb :^:

Cured rock shouldnt have much die off but base rock will be seeded by your live rock and become live rock and look similar in less than a year typically.

From what I understand from reading other posts is that even while adding rock that is cured into another system if you get it from your LFS the transportation of it will still more than likely cause some die off which will then result in a small ammonia spike and/or mini cycle. which is what i would like to avoid if possible. is that correct?

Yes, even adding cured rock can start a minicycle, but it doesn't always happen.

If you use dead rock, it will become live rock eventually and you don't run the risk of starting a minicycle.

What type of dead rock do you want to add to your tank. Please do not add any natural rock to your tank that you do not know for sure is calcite based rock. Even rock from the ocean isn't necessarily safe rock to put in a reef tank. A rock with elements that could kill all inhabitants in a reef tank will not cause much harm in the ocean due to the massive amounts of water involved, but a reef tank is small. It might seem embarrassing but asking what a rock is is would be a good idea. Any geologist would be happy to look at the rocks you wish to use. Look up the telephone number for your nearest university, or any store that sells principally supplies for miners will have a rock hound working there. If nothing else remember a calcite based rock fizzes like Alka Seltzer when you put an acid on it. White vinegar will work as the acid.

i plan on just getting some rock that at one time was or is live, been keeping an eye on the local classified ads. then i'll boil it to make sure i dont get any die off and a mini cycle.

wow his base rock prices are incredible, if only it matched the style of rock i've got in my tank now :( aw well i know i'll be happy with fiji rock.

Back