? about stealth heater

steelcity

Reefing newb
well I just fired up the new tank. no lights until next week. anyhow. I have my 250 watt heater in the return chamber of my octopus 800s. It is sticking a good 2" out of the water and the dial is on top. Is this safe? Does the heater need to be totally submerged? It is not plugged in yet.

Also if I put a carbon sock next to it in the bottom of the chamber and they are touching, is this a fire hazard?

I think it would be better all the way under the water, but 2" sticking out I think is okay. It is a submersible heater. I would try to avoid anything touching it, however I don't think a carbon sock would be a fire hazard. It is under water after all.

I wouldnt trust even 2" sticking out of the water.
Its alright for the top to be out of the water,because the heating element starts at the bottom of the cap.

well beano, you were right. there is a min water level and I'm now where near it. My stupid mistake when I bought it. I measured the whole return section on the skimmer and not to the outlet.

So now I need to go find a heater thats shorter so I can put it in the return section and try and sell the brand new heater that won't fit.

Can you lay it down on it's side? I'm not familiar with the heater you are talking about, but most submersibles will have suction cups to secure them to the glass or sump. I would think you could lay it down on it's side on the floor of the sump or on one of the side walls.

yes, you could lay it down but I'm just running a HOB skimmer and thats it. I just went and got a Jager and its fits perfect in my return chamber. So now I have a brand new stealth sitting here. Will put in up in classisifeds.

Back