a little help

kyle

Reefing newb
i want to get t5 light but i dont think they will do for my tank. i dont really want to spent the money on MH, so i was going to use t5s but my tank is 26" deep and 22" across. i herd t5 only penatrate like 21"i could put my hard corals on the top and my softy at the bottom. how bad do u think the algae will get i use t5. i as heard to approrate littiing for a mini reef is lik 4-8 wpg well if i had a light that put put like 350w thats like 5wpg should this be enogh or is it to much it sounds like alot to me any help would be appritiatied thanks :grumble:

You will not find a 24'' T5 fixture that will be even close to the 350w you mention.T5 are not a good choice for a deep hexagon tank.Sure,you can keep some corals but you will be limited.Mh would be a better choice.Algae growth will depend on nutrient levels not on the choice of lighting.

damn i was really hoping i could have gotin around MH but i guess not lol
oh well thanks for the help guys im goin to start looking MH do u think 300w will do? or is that to much.wat is the quality of outer orbit (how well do they work and wat is mantance like) i never hade to deal with MH i down want to over heat my tank i dont want to over heat my room cuz that will heat up the tank and summers coming should i get an a fan and some tubing and blow it out my window?

300 watts of MH will be fine over a 65 gallon tank. Because it's a hex tank, you'll likely have to get a hanging pendant lamp. With halides, you can get a cheap clip-on fan from Walmart (I paid $7 for two of them for my tank) and have it blowing across the surface of the water to help keep things cool.

Back