48" Lighting Options?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I know there are a TON of options.

I've been searching for lights for the 90g tank. Just getting an equipment list together. What I'd LIKE, is a retrofit kit OR a fixture with at least 2 MH bulbs. Nothing crazy, just a couple 150--175w bulbs. I'm not sure if this tank will have a canopy yet. If I use retrofit kits, it seams like it will be MORE expensive than just buying a complete fixture. Hell, I could even buy a fixture cheaper than the retrofit kit and all the parts. Gut the fixture (if I wanted too) and put the parts in a canopy.

I also want at least 4 of the T5HO 54w bulbs

OR:

4 of the PC 65w bulbs

I'm pretty sure everyone will tell me to lean towards the MH & T5 option. The T5 will penetrate better. There's all kinds of good reasons to use T5s in combination with the MH.

But I'm having problems finding a fixture that actually HAS a couple low wattage MH bulbs AND the T5s that I want. My ideal fixture would have 2 MH bulbs @ 150--175w 10K each and 4 of the T5 bulbs in actinic.

I can find combo fixtures with MH and PC.

Would you consider a fixture that had 2 MH @ 175 AND 4 PC 65w each. Total:
260 PC actinic
350 MH 10K

610w on a 90g tank. Thats just about what I wanted to have. I realize that I could get away with less, but I'd rather have more and shut them off earlier in the day.

Do ya think it would work on a reef? I know the PC aren't as intense as T5, but there is a LOT of watts there.

my buddy has a 90 gallon tank and he put in a retro kit in his canopy, 5 54 watt HO t5's with individual reflectors, and it looks great much cooler than halides and many options on bulb colors. i have 5 also over my 75 gallon.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+8075+15486&pcatid=15486

Aquamedic,Aquactinics,Hamilton,Sunlight Supply and Geisman also make a MH/T5 combo fixture.So there is quite a few companies out there making them.Those are higher in price than the Outer Orbits....the Aquamedic should be closer in price.

No way around it Rc,lighting isn't going to be cheap.If your plan on retro than you will need two separate retro kits.I've haven't seen any MH and T5 retros sold together.Maybe there is some out there,I just haven't seen any.

I would go the retro route in a canopy mayself 2 MH and and Icecap 660 should do you fine.

Speaking of T5 ballasts:

How in the hell do you know how many output wattsor how many lamps you can use on those ballasts? I am not finding many ballasts that list total wattage output or number of lamps they will run.

I want about 200w of HO T5 if I'm going that route. 300--350w of MH.

Thanks for the links guys. :Cheers:

Just remember if you use icecap electronic ballasts you will not be able to use X-10 controls. That is if you ever decide to use a contoller to control all your tank systems.

web_bart-google.jpg

Ok that being said Fatman why cant you use Icecaps and x-10 controls?

I'm new to reefing but I already have x-10 set up in my house to control other things. Basically its a system that sends signals through your electrical system to turn things on/off. For example I use it to turn on my Christmas lights and cut them off during Christmas. It will also work as a dimmer on regular incandescent bulbs but dimming function is not available on flourescent bulbs.

How all my gibberish converts to what fatman said earlier... I have no clue :D

Back