???

A refugium is basically a secondary filtration source in another tank that is plumbed to your display tank. It usually consists of different sections or chambers, one to house the skimmer, one for the sand, lr and algae and a return pump section. They will add more water volume to the overall size of your system and additional filtration which is the purpose of the refugium.

20gsump_old.jpg

I really don't know much about canister filters. From what many peole here on the forum say they're old technology and don't work that well for saltwater. They tend to trap nitrates...that's just what I've read. IMO I don't think you need a canaster filter at all. All you need is 1.5/2lbs of LR per gallon of water, about a 2" sandbed, a good protein skimmer and regular water changes. The addition of a refugium will definitely help with your filtration because there is more LR, sand and algae to help filter the system. Also you're adding more water volume which helps because there is more room for error with more water. A little change is water params will be a big change in a smaller tank vs. one with more water.

yea ok thanks how would u build one?(sorry for so many questions)

Please, no need to be sorry for the questions. That's what this forum is for and why all the members are willing to help out. We all have questions.

The easiest way to build the fuge/sump and w/ an aquarium or you can use a rubbermaid tote of some sort. I like the aquarium, but that's just my personal preference. This is how I built mine.

I went to Wal-mart and got a 10g aquarium cheap $11.99. Then I went to home depot and bought 1/4" sections of plexiglass. I'd reccommend buying a plexiglass cutting tool which will make it much easier on you. Then you have to formulate a design plan as to where you'd like your baffles to be. This will all depend on the size of your return pump and skimmer. Cut the pieces to fit and then use aquarium grade silicone to seal them in place. Let dry for 24hrs and then do a leak test w/ regular tap water. If there are leaks, let dry, reseal and let dry for another 24hrs. Repeat leak test until there are no leaks and then you're ready for business. There are many combinations of plumbing options you can go with. I'd get the fuge built first and then worry about the plumbing and pumps. Look in the DIY section of the forum for other people's sump and fuge designs or just use the search tab and type in fuge. You'll find tons of posts on them.

Hope this helps! Please continue to ask questions about everything. That's how you'll learn and become a more successful reefer. Good luck! :bounce:

i just thought of this(and this will be helpful) when i build the tank what should i put in it like filter rocks algae ect. thanks for ur help

You won't need a filter for the refugium. You should put some small pieces of live rock (live rock rubble) and some macroalgae like chaetomorpha. You can get chaetomorpha from other reefers, your LFS or Ebay.

A refugium is basically a secondary filtration source in another tank that is plumbed to your display tank. It usually consists of different sections or chambers, one to house the skimmer, one for the sand, lr and algae and a return pump section. They will add more water volume to the overall size of your system and additional filtration which is the purpose of the refugium.

20gsump_old.jpg

You've got a very nice set up Hiker. I see you have one of those Squid current devices. I purchased the large one but never have installed it yet. What size do you have and how do you like it?

You've got a very nice set up Hiker. I see you have one of those Squid current devices. I purchased the large one but never have installed it yet. What size do you have and how do you like it?

Sorry, this picture was just one I used as an example. I pulled it off google images because it showed the setup clearly and all the sections. I'll be posting pics of mine this weekend after I get my Catalina lights so I can just put up all my new pics at once. I have a 10g fuge, w/ a coralife superskimmer 125, rio1700 return pump and I use a 40w cfl to light it. Sorry if there was any confusion. :D

hi my LFS specializes in saltwater and coral and they are going to build me a sump and i said price doesn't matter so my question is what should i tell them to put in it

Oh man you're going to get ripped off since you told them that!! Why not just build one yourself? You can build a sump yourself for less than $50, easy!!

A sump only holds equipment -- a protein skimmer, heater, etc. That's why I'm confused as to why you are telling a store to build it for you. It's simply a container to hold your equipment.

Are you sure you are not wanting them to build a refugium for you? A refugium is different from a sump, and usually contains sand, live rock rubble and macroalgae.

Back