:(

Jkraft136

Reefing newb
Why are all the cool looking fish that i want non coral safe :P

Was looking at new fish for my next transplant and saw a beautiful Orange toadfish, low and behold hes aggressive and will eat my tank mates.

So right now i'm looking for a little help to stock my tank.

What kind of fish should i start out with if plan to add coral down the road?

I'd look at the blennies.Maybe one of the smaller carpenter,fairy,or flasher wrasses.Maybe a bristle tooth tang.

I started with a Bi-Colored Bleeny and he is doing great. I also have a Copper-banded Butterfly and a Coral Beauty. The last two fish mentioned are labled a using caution with a reef tank, but so far, a month and a half, no problems.

I started with a Bi-Colored Bleeny and he is doing great. I also have a Copper-banded Butterfly and a Coral Beauty. The last two fish mentioned are labled a using caution with a reef tank, but so far, a month and a half, no problems.

Good luck with the CBB. they usually dont last too long in aquariums.

Live Rock and live sand is good to have first. A really good breed of fish to start with are Gobies they are reef safe and very easy to take care of they also are very cool to watch they like alot of hiding places. No more than 3 at a time some are semi-aggresive but most are peaceful. Lets us know how things work out. A good protein skimmer would be good also.

Live Rock and live sand is good to have first. A really good breed of fish to start with are Gobies they are reef safe and very easy to take care of they also are very cool to watch they like alot of hiding places. No more than 3 at a time some are semi-aggresive but most are peaceful. Lets us know how things work out. A good protein skimmer would be good also.
gobies should be put in a mature system since the sand sifting types eat the micro fauna out of the sand. also most gobies dont get along with each other and will fight to the death, so only one should be kept per tank.

Just be sure you don't cover over your existing sand bed too deep that you kill off any organisms on top of it now. Give it a nice even spread

Your best bet is to add the sand a little at a time, not all at once. There's a small chance you'll get a mini-cycle, but you can lessen that chance by spreading out the additions.

My favorite fish ever is the leopard wrasse. Google that beeyotch. One would look great in your tank.

i see alot of yellow tangs in the reef setups around here. i have a friend that bought everything the store owner told him to for a 75 gallon and 1 yellow tang was on the list. after about a year he bought a new coral called excitement or something with an e, can't remember. anyway it was $100.00 and no sooner did he pull his hand out of the tank from placeing it in there and the yellow tang came over and ate the whole thing in a few minutes. sad and funny at the same time. anyone have any issues with the yt's, his has never messed with anything else in his tank???

Yeah I've never heard of yellow tangs eating corals either. They only time they appear to do so is if there is algae growing on the coral, then they graze on the corals.

Back