What to do when your LFS sucks?

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
OK, so the tank has settled down, and the water is crystal clear. Hooray! Stopped by my LFS to check out what they had in stock (I know I can't put anything there yet, but I'm all excited and stuff, and I wanted to check them out). So, long story short: it SUCKS! Filthy tanks, skinny, sickly looking fish, trying to get me to load my tank with damsels to cycle it, everything highly overpriced, etc. ad nauseum. The problem? We only have one LFS around! :frustrat:

What do I do? Is it feasible to use online saltwater retailers for fish, inverts, and corals? Are there any recommendations for those? Should I just make the hike to Atlanta (about a 2 hour drive to the south side, plus travel time to any downtown stores)? I'm really bummed right now.........

Check out craigslist! Lots of people getting out of the hobby so you can get stuff for cheap, you can get the real story about the fish they have and the corals. Plus look for a local forum, lots of people like to trade their corals and stuff.

Great suggestions so far - Live Aquaria cannot be beat, one of the few places with a guarantee on nearly everything. The cost of shipping will be much less than spending half a day driving to Atlanta and back. If absolutely needed, you could possibly see if the LFS would order fish for you from their supplier and hold them in a separate tank, although from the sounds of it I wouldn't want to support this LFS.

No matter what, make sure you go slow with adding everything! It'll pay off in the long run and will make you appreciate each addition so much more!

The problem with ordering online is that when you add the shipping costs it ends up being a lot. I don't have good LFS around so I plan on getting my fish from a place 2 hours down the road.

I'd also recommend bluezooaquatics. Have had nothing but great experiences from them, shipping to Alaska.

Back