what kind of salt do u use?

kyle

Reefing newb
what kind of salt do u guys use in ur aquarims and why...because it reduces nitrites,nitrate or because it clear? and is it bad it change brand of salt?

i use instant ocean Honestly because it was the only salt my LFS had dissolves rather quickly but i still leave it overnight with a powerhead running before i put in my sump

i actually dont use mix salt i use Nutir-SeaWater from my LFS. I do 2 about a 10 gallon change every 3 weeks if I can. I have been having a nitrate problem so i have been changing more often and added a skimmer. they are still high but the skimmer has only been running since SAturday. I also do a no no and use tap water with conditioner and stress zyme when i add top off, but I think I will be changing to Ro water now. It's like 20 cents a gallon at Walmart.
Its the only thing now that could be the cause of the nitrates. I HOPE

Last edited:
High nitrates are just a by product of the nitrogen cycle. Feeding adds nutrients and one form or another of nitrogen. The fish eat the food turning it into amonia when they :pooh:. Aerobic bacteria turn it from ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate. It tends to remain as nitrate unless there is adequate live rock or sand bed that has anaerobic areas in it that convert nitrate to elemental nitrogen which difuses out of the water. So that is one of the reasons water changes are important to reduce the amount of nitrate in the water that the bacteria in the live rock dont have time to convert.

As for the type of salt I use, I have Instant Ocean but have been thinking of switching to something with a higher calcium count because my IO is almost out.

Brian

I started with Oceanic (very high calcium), then switched to IO (because it is the most used), but now thinking about Seachem or Tropic Marine in the future (because most people say they are closest to natural sea water).

I used instant ocean because its all my LFS had when I started up my tank. Since then I noticed my friends corals were growing at a rate of around 5 or more times to mines 1 unit of growth... He uses reef crystals, so I switched and it works really well for me. For a solid month or so my little piece of some kind of orange cap didnt do anything at all, finally attached to the rock, after my first few water changes with reef crystals its already 20% bigger. Fosters has reef crystals 160 gallon bucket for 5$ more than my LFS sells the 50 gallon bag for... 32$!

I saw someone tested a bunch of salts out, had all different categories and all tested almost the same, I have no idea where I saw that at, if any one remembers it would be cool to compare again...

I used Red Sea for over 10 yrs. I switched a few months ago to Red Sea Coral Pro.
Here is a thread on the results of a salt study done by AqauriumWaterTesting.com.

I have used IO, and oceanic. I had the best salt when I mixed the IO and oceanic 50/50. Now that my IO is gone and I don't want to buy two buckets of salt I will give reefcrystals a try.

Back