What is an RO unit?

Reverse Osmosis. Essentially a rubber membrane that filters water under high pressure.

Most will have a number of pre filters - 5micon, carbon, carbon, RO membrane, De-ionizing resin

It's the purest water you can get for the home aquarium enthusiast. IMHO the FIRST piece of equipment you should purchase in this hobby.

It's a very important piece of equipment. An RODI (reverse osmosise deionization) unit will remove 99.9% of everything in the water that is not pure water. Salt mixes that we use have a pretty good balance of everything that is found in natural sea water, so you want to start out with pure water. Also, using tap water can introduce all sorts of crap into your tank that can fuel algae problems and be hazardous to invertebrates.

You can buy an RODI unit and most of them are made to be installed under the kitchen sink. They're pretty easy to install. They have an on/off valve, and when you turn it on, it produces clean water ready for your tank -- you don't have to add any chemicals, purifiers, dechlorinators or anything.

You can also buy RO water at any grocery store or Walmart. Some stores have filling stations where you can bring your own jugs, some sell it bottled. Just look on the label -- it will say "Prepared by reverse osmosis".

Listen to RCPilot. Seriously. I tried filling my own jugs locally for 4 months in this hobby. My windmill water fill up place is two blocks away and it was a huge hassle. There were a lot of times I would put off maintenance because I just couldn't get out there to get it filled.

Buy the unit, they're like 90 bucks for a cheap one. It'll save you lots of money in the long run and it'll save you a ton of time too.

Ok Thanks....I will buy one but until I have fish I will have to buy it already done. First tank then water and salt.....lol My budget is low....

Do I still have to clean the tank even if their is no fish in it or live rock etc....just for the first while saltwater and a filter? Would it still need it's cleaning changes? If so how often?

Thank you.

It's a 55 gallon that I am buying in a week......(maybe 2 weeks)

No, you won't need to clean it or really do anything with it in the first few weeks while it's cycling. You should still keep it top offed though(make sure you use RO/DI water for this and not salt or tap water).

If you want to you can scrape off any algae that grows on the glass. Honestly this wasn't an issue for me, but for some people they have huge blooms.

After you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, you should do some huge water changes. I did a 40%, two days later, a 20%, next day 10%. After that I do 10% 1-2x a week. Your goal is to just keep those nitrates as low as you can initially.

Having a RODI unit will save you a lot of frustration and time. It is of should be considered one of the most important pieces of equipment we can own as reefers. It all begins with water quality.

And that's about as cheap as you're going to find them. Similar units sell for $300 to $400. I've had mine for probably 4 years or so now. When I first bought it, people thought I was being cheap and gave me the whole "you get what you pay for" spiel. But these RODI units seem to defy that convention.

Back