What else do I need?

ghummel

Reefing newb
Hello All,

Im new to saltwater an I was wanting to setup a reef tank! I bought a partial setup used and these were the items I aquired.

48x18x20 75 gal Acrlyic tank w/ center overflow
Euro Reef protein skimmer w/ sedra fsp-3500 pump
Two Little Fishes Phosban reactor w/ Aqua Clear (PH101) pump
2x Hydor Koralia 1 power heads
Marineland Visi-Therm 200w heater
Hamilton Tech true 10k 250w Metal Halide bulb
one other 250w metal halide thats supposed to be more blue?
Fixture and balast for the metal halide
Misc plumbing parts
So I think I have a good start. I know I need a sump w/ wet/dry filter and a stand and hood, But what else am I missing?
Thanks g

Welcome to the forum. You list looks pretty complete to me.

However, after using a UV Light the past 2 years and a couple of years before without one, I would diffidently add one to any set-up. It most likely will save a lot of headaches and help with any ich outbreaks.

Hello and welcome to the site, glad to have you. Your list looks good...all you need now is some rocks, sand, water and fish. :)

Hello! Welcome to the site.

You are missing a refractometer (around $40) to measure salinity.
You are missing test kits (the most important ones are pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Calcium if you plan on keeping corals).
You are missing an RODI unit ($150 to $250) to make your own water (don't use tap water!) and a TDS meter ($15 to $20) to measure how well the RODI unit is working.

You do not need a wet/dry filter. Those are not usually used for saltwater tanks anymore. They can lead to poor water quality unless cleaned frequently, which is a pain in a butt.

You will need 1 to 2 lbs of rock for the tank. A mixture of live rock and dry (base) rock is a good way to go.

Back