Water changes.....

Rcchanlder

Reefing newb
When i had a freshwater tank i use to just take the water from my bath tub and dechlorinate it but i could control the temp by adjusting the hot or cold. My question is... If i get OR water from my LFS, how do i adjust the temp to match my tank?

I put my water in a rubbermaid trash can. In the trash can there is a heating element, a thermometer, and a powerhead. This allows me to heat the water to the right temperature before adding it to my sump.

You should let your saltwater sit and mix overnight, so just leave a small heater in your bucket.

Most salt mixes use sodium bicarbonate for alkalinity, which until the proper mix of o2 and co2 is reached, can do crazy things to PH.

I've got a smaller tank than some so I use a five gallon bucket for my water changes. I put in RO/DI water in early in the week, add salt, a power head, and a heater. It is ready for the weekend change by Friday. I usually do water changes on Saturday.

i guess ill have to get myself another power head and a heater then.. : )

A small maxi-jet would work well. You might even find a used one. Of course the heater can be a cheap one as well since these items won't be in your tank. I think others may have setup a quarantine tank and used the heater and power head when not needing the QT.

Back