Tree Sponge

Smitty

Reef pro
Hey Guys, I bought a Red tree sponge, and it looked great it the lfs, but after a day of being in my tank, it's starting to look like it is shedding or peeling on the left branch...I originally had it in front of the powerhead, but moved it because maybe it had too much flow. Is that normal for it to peel, or did I just have it too close to the powerhead?
P30200022.jpg

Thanks again.

Now the sponge has turned completely white in color...I think it may be dying...from nitrates(60ppm) in my tank from my firefish goby dying....Did a few water changes and brought the nitrates down to 20ppm...My question is will the sponge recover or just fade away?

Before...
P30200022.jpg

And after...
TreeSponge.jpg

Hey Yote, can I leave it in, or should I take it out...I don't think a dead sponge will raise nitrates. I still like it for the decoration and the swaying motion in the tank.

Dead sponges will affect water quality. They decompose very slowly and while they do they will add organics to your water.

If it has a little color I would give it alittle longer. Like I said though they decompose slowly so I doubt it would hurt to give it alittle long. Sorry to say it but it doesn't look like it's comeback.

Decorative sponges can be tricky to keep. They are quite sensitive. I'd take it out if I were you, I wouldn't want that thing rotting in my tank. Lots of sponges release toxins as they decompose (which is why it's bad to expose them to air, they'll die and pollute the tank). I don't know if your tree sponge is one that is harmful or not.

Back