Too much lighting while on vacation

Kazarko

Reefing newb
The picture says it all... I got some new lights and went on vacation, didn't have time to test them before and well, my snails did not cover half the tank before about 6 inches of algae grew in 5 days :shock: !!!

Attachments

• Algae.webp
    Algae.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 253
The good news is that my new lights are really awesome at making things grow... maybe a bit too much. I just went up by about 10x the amount of lighting I used to have by watts. Going to the store now to pick up more snails and maybe a blenny if they're not sold out already, the LFS has a 20% sale going on this month.

Awe, you're just going for that natural look.

Lol.

Are lights really what will cause that? I've run my lights for 14 hours a day for awhile before I knew it wasn't the best idea and I've never had any algae in my tank aside from the normal glass stuff. That's scary O.o

Anytime you get new lights, you will usually have an algae outbreak. Now couple new lights, with them being on 24/7, and I'd say what you saw is totally expected.

Anytime you get new lights, you will usually have an algae outbreak. Now couple new lights, with them being on 24/7, and I'd say what you saw is totally expected.

Oh hell I didn't read he had them on for 24/7. I've changed bulbs a few times and have been lucky enough not to have any issues with algae when I did.

That sucks though. Going to break out the toothbrush and syphon?

Siphoned already with about a 50% water change just to stop more algae from growing. Can't get a good scraping off the rocks for some of the algae. That hair algae doesn't want to come off easily. Lights came with a timer I already set up, just did not expect the lights to be this powerful while on a day/night timer. I went from what was about 25W when having a FO tank to what is now around 250W. I've since been tinkering with the light timers to reduce the length of time they are on. I've never been able to detect nitrates in my tank with my test kits, maybe they got gobbled up by the algae so the test kits aren't as useful. Haven't seen a phosphate test kit around, I'll keep an eye out for one when I'm at the store buying more snails. Nothing is really making a dent except me pulling more algae out by hand each day and scrubbing the tank and algae covered powerheads with a brush constantly. It doesn't help that my crappy seaclone skimmer(counting down the months until I can afford a much better replacement) isn't doing much and is extremely finnicky of late, requiring constant tinkering to produce tiny amounts of foam.

Can't get a good scraping off the rocks for some of the algae. That hair algae doesn't want to come off easily.

Next time you do a PWC rubberband a toothbrush to the end of your siphon hose and scrub the rock so the algea comes off and then siphon it up.Just by doing a 5 gallon PWC you`ll have pretty much up.

Next time you do a PWC rubberband a toothbrush to the end of your siphon hose and scrub the rock so the algea comes off and then siphon it up.Just by doing a 5 gallon PWC you`ll have pretty much up.

Took the words right out of my finger tips:D
You've got to get ahead of the algae before it can be beat,but your on the right track.

Back