Timer

Eric Noa

Reefing newb
Anybody has any experience with this timer? I have read the instructions and the lights just wont turn on how they are supposed to.

might sound like an a hole but is the strip turned on itself??? Also just something I noticed. Home Depot has the same kind of timer for sale. The one I seen was like 20 bucks or something. Might want to check it out and get some of your money back. I think the coralife runs close to 40 bucks or something. Just some food for thought

I just went and bought a new timer, I almost bought that exact one:Cheers: but it looked confusing :shock:so i didnt touch it. Sorry i would have gotten really pissed off:frustrat: if it didnt work and woulda ended up in the front yard:mrgreen:

That timer is really bad. It's touchy as hell, and everyone that I know that's ever had one (myself included) reports that it loses time. I know I had to reset mine about once a week because it would lose time so much.

As for how to set it, you have three colors: yellow, blue and white. Whites are on all the time, so plug your heater, powerheads, whatever into those.

Yellow and blue are opposite. So whatever you set yellow to, blue will automatically be on the opposite of that schedule. You can't set them so that your actinics come on an hour before your daylights, for example. You an only set things to on and off, and vice versa for blue.

So, for example, if you had separate moonlights, you'd plug the moonlights into blue and your regular lights into yellow, and they'd be on an opposite schedule. Same thing if you wanted to run your fuge opposite your tank lights.

Other than that... Are you having a specific problem with it?

The reviews on the Coralife timer are that they fail a lot... I bought 3 Intermatic timers at Lowes, one has two outlets on it for my wht lts and the cooling fan.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KBZUMG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000E8VAIO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0D0AJYXBAC7Q45BV3N07]Amazon.com: Intermatic DT620CL 15 Amp Indoor Astronomic Digital Timer: Home Improvement[/ame]

It also adjusts the sunrise and sunset automatic so the lights go out when it gets dark out and then I keep the blue on until like 9 pm.

I bought that Coralife timer when I first got into the hobby, used it for about two weeks, and returned it. It had a mind of it's own. Didn't matter what I set it at, it just worked like crap. When I returned it, the customer service person said that timer gets returned quite often. I now use the timers Biff suggested

I must have gotten the only good one. Knock on wood... I bought the dial (not digital) timer. It has worked great for almost 2 years now. I have my sump and moon lights plugged into the blue and the main lights in the yellow and in the white I have my heater plugged in. Hope you get yours figured out Eric. BTW I also have several different Intermatic timers I use for other things around the house and they are great. I have a heavy duty one for my trucks block heater and have used it every winter for 10 years now. FWIW...

Back