Temp spike

Go buy some bags of ice from a convenience store. Put the ice in Ziplock bags and float it in your tank (don't let the ice get in the water). Turn off your lights and unplug your heater.

I have had my tank spike to 86-88 with no problems. The reason why it spiked was I forgot to turn on my A/C. I just turned on my A/C when I got home and shut of the lights.

Might be safer to set a fan blowing across the tank.A quick drop in temp can be worse than the high temps themselves.

Yea I got home today and noticed my temp was around 84. I do not know what happened. I keep my ac on around 76. I turned the heater down last night and we will see what happens. Everything seems fine though. Just another piece of the puzzle. Got to love aquariums.:grumble:

Messiah-
Temperature spiked because my wife turned off the AC and didn't tell me. I told her that was a big "no-no". The fish seem to be doing well today but I'm keeping an I on them. I think I'll try Yote's advice next time with the fan.

I never thought that living in the middle of the north atlantic ocean would have its benefits. Unless my heater gets turned up my temp will NEVER go up...I am actually jealous if you can't tell

Wanna trade places Michelle?
I'd love to live up that way,or the north west.Living in the southeast just plan sucks during the summer.

I keep an 8" fan blowing over the top of the water and lights, because the halides are HOT! My temps this summer seem to swing from 81 at night to 85 by late afternoon. I try to add some 1 lb blocks of RO ice to the tank a couple of times during the afternoon, and that seems to help, but the room the tank's in has insane temp swings from night to day (lots of windows, I have black curtains to keep the Sun out but it still cooks in there). Haven't had any fish losses since my percula went carpet surfing, and the SPS and LPS are all thriving... luckily, I guess. A chiller is just way out of my budget right now.

I had a big temp drop form 80 down to 73 recently and I brought the temp back up SLOWLY about 2 degrees a day. Sudden temp changes are much worse than out-of-range temps.

Back