Tank size

andersoned14

Reefing newb
I know we all ask "will this fish fit in this tank". Mostly for the tangs we want to keep, and the answer is generally a 6 ft tank is best. Well I have the same question but ask it a different way. What if you were to build a custom tank since I have never seen one this diamention. 8ft long by 2ft wide by 18in deep. I guess what I am asking does the depth matter as long as their fins stay wet and they is room for them to go a little up and down. Let hear what you think.

I personally think depth matters just as much as length. Mine are all over at all levels of the tank. I think they'd be less happy if they lost their "up and down" room.

I dont think an 18" deep tank would make a whole lot of difference as far as fish go.
It will make lighting a breeze though.

I know we all ask "will this fish fit in this tank". Mostly for the tangs we want to keep, and the answer is generally a 6 ft tank is best. Well I have the same question but ask it a different way. What if you were to build a custom tank since I have never seen one this diamention. 8ft long by 2ft wide by 18in deep. I guess what I am asking does the depth matter as long as their fins stay wet and they is room for them to go a little up and down. Let hear what you think.
This would be an awesome tank...i'm doing a crazy build myself( though its slow going attempting to join 2 -75 gallons for dims of 8ft x 18in x 22in https://www.livingreefs.com/crazy-tank-build-coming-soon-t28109.html

Last edited:
My tank is a custom built tank that measures 8 feet long,36'' wide and 18'' deep.I made a conscious decision that my tank isn't deep enough for a few of the tangs that grow huge like Nasos and Vlamingi.Other then that I feel like I'm unlimited.

I try to find the thread on some fantastic looking shallow reef tanks on RC.

I need to do an update.Here are some pics not long after setting it up.

july2010034.jpg

P7242245.jpg

Mine was built by a local company called Ocea Systems.Where you are located,if you can't find a reputable builder locally try Miracles.

They make any size glass aquariums and stands.The ones I've seen on RC are very well made for the price.

Yes about the those tangs.They can grow a foot and a half long almost.It wouldn't be much swimming up and down.It would just look odd to me.

http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/custom.html

Back