Tank equipment

jarock

Reefing newb
I was thinking about getting more equipment but not really sure what i need, i use one power head , a protein skimmer, two heaters, a hang on the back freshwater filter system i use for a sum and extrra flow. was wondering if a phosban reactor might be a good plan or any input would help alot .

i would get rid of the hob filter if you have a skimmer it doesnt have much of a purpose and will end up a nit trap without regular cleanings. a phosban reactor could be a good addition but i your having issues with your water quality then perhaps there is an issue with your skimmer...if so then i would replace that before anything... id also use a second powerhead even if its a small of behind the rock work to eliminate dead zones. a little more info would help.
which skimmer? how strong is your powerhead and is your skimmer hob or is it an in sump/inline and also what is your sump set up? an hob sump? im kinda just confused about that what is the freshwater filter system your talking about?

Lots of people use phosphate reactors, but it is an optional piece of equipment. Maybe wait to see if you have an algae problem before buying it?

I know its summer now but how about a temp controller? There not too expensive. It just turns the heater on and off but my heat is so stable now. Temp swings are really bad. Even better is a temp controller that will turn on fans and turn off lights when the heat gets too high. Thats what I want.

Last edited:
its an instant ocean skimmer not the greatest in my opinion and not sure what its rated for, i dont have a sump still a little confused how to build a small one since my stand wont fit a standard aquarium it will have to be a custom built one , my hair algae is an on going battle as well as diatoms but i am using roa phos at the moment in my hang on the back over flow . which has helped a little .

if this is your 55g you definitely need another powerhead, you dont have enough flow in that tank unless you bought the biggest and baddest powerhead for that tank.

That skimmer is not very good from what ive heard (never had one) look at the reef octopus range for HOB they have some good stuff.

and like said above a phosphate reactor cant hurt

Back