T5 Bulbs?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I got my new lights in this morning from Catalina Aquarium. They're 36" T5's w/ six 39w bulbs. I have 3 10,000k daylight and 3 actinics (2 are the pink/purple and 1 is blue). I don't really like the look of the pink/purple actinics and would like to add another blue one. My question is will running only two 10,000k daylights and 4 actincs be ok?

It depends on your goal with the tank. The 10k's will give you more growth and the actinics will add color. They are both necessary. If you find that you are not getting the growth you want, then you may put one of the 10k's back in.

I have a 6 bulb fixture from Catalina as well.

My light:
(1) 10k
(2) 12k
(2) actinic
(1) 460nm (basically a 20k bulb)

It's more blue than (3) 10k and (3) actinic. Corals are popping with deep color and good growth.

I just called Reefgeek and spoke with Greg in tech support. He set me up with a bulb package to get my tank looking more blue and healthier lights spectrums. He set me up with:

1 - Fiji Purple
1 - 6500k Daylight
3 - Blue Plus
and I'll be keeping 1 of the 10,000k lights I already have.

Any thoughts on this mix? The order wont be shipping for two weeks because the blue plus are on backorder so I still have time to change if I need to. Keep in mind I know nothing about lighting combinations and he gave me his best professional opinon on a lighting setup.

Greg is AWESOME. Always willing to help.

That's probably a great combo to start with. The problem is no matter how many pics you look at or what someone tells you is best, you'll never know for sure until you get them installed in YOUR light fixture over YOUR tank.

The only think I'm not too sure on is the 6,500k bulb. I questioned him about it vs. the 10,000k bulb and he said it's actually closer to natural sunlight spectrum and the 10,000k is more a white light w/ a subtle hint of blue. I just don't want me tank to look yellowish, but I don't think it will w/ all the blues and fiji purple.

Agreed. It's hard to tell what it will look like over your rocks and sand.

I don't think it takes much more blue spectrum to get the corals to color up and start looking better. I only switched (2) of my 10k bulbs to 12k and switched (1) actinic to 460nm. My eye immediately saw a change to slightly more blue. But thats my human eyeball. The corals "saw" ALL that blue and responded with richer colors. It only took a month to see the difference in their color.

My 29g frag tank has all 10k lights - the corals are growing very good but they are starting to brown out.

I really hope they do the trick. My brother stopped at my house this afternoon to check out my new lights. He called and said that the corals already look brighter and more colorful, but the biggest change is they all seem to be larger. Can't wait to get home tonight and see it after the lights have been on all day.

Will my light setup allow me to keep sps and clams? It's a 234w fixture. I guess I should have asked this question before I made the purchase. Thanks?

that is awesome. You will want to make sure that the corals you get are coming from a home with equivalent lighting, or read up on light acclimation so you don't throw them into shock.

Back