Switching to a New Tank Process.

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Yeah so I will be getting a new tank sometime this year.

I have to basically move all my fish, rock and corals but will be leaving my crushed coral substrate behind.

I want the new tank in the same location so who has a grand plan to make it the easiest.

Going from an 80Gal Bowfront to either a 155Bow or a 180Rectangle.

Just concerned about the fish mostly. I can leave the 80 going like if I could just drain it ans take out all but the crushed coral and a little water but man the sump has 25gal in so UGHHGHGHG.

Maybe I could put those miracle moving pads under it hahaha but how to get the under it. It is on tile but man if the stand which is very sturdy buckles it will be dangerous for the humans too with breaking glass.

You are going to want plenty of buckets or rubbermaid containers and some powerheads to keep the water moving. As long as you have that, you can spend days doing the move if you have to. Get everything into buckets, fish separate from corals, separate from live rock (with no corals attached). And also keep as much tank water as you can.
Drain the rest, remove the sand, get tank off stand, move stand. Bring in new stand, get new tank in place, plumb it up, put in new substrate, put in old tank water and top off with fresh saltwater, let settle, start moving in rock, then corals then fish.

So you dont think the new live sand will cycle and be bad for the fish.

Also I feel weird putting the fish in the same bucket.

I have a 2.5 gal tank for the coral and a 10 I can put some rock and the fish to keep them apart a little.

Just get a large rubber maid bin. I think a 10 gal tank is way too small for all of them even for a short time. Or you could get multiple buckets and put a few fish in each bucket.

This is assuming they are going to be in there for more than a few hours.

So you dont think the new live sand will cycle and be bad for the fish.

Also I feel weird putting the fish in the same bucket.

I have a 2.5 gal tank for the coral and a 10 I can put some rock and the fish to keep them apart a little.

That's fine. You dont have to put all your fish together, and probably wouldn't want to. Whatever works.

And you might have a mini cycle but nothing you can do about that. Keeping as much as your water as possible and keeping all your rock will help. You getting sand from TBS again?

No I don't want the crushed coral. That is sort of how this got started. I want easy sand for the crabs and will use a tiny bit of the crushed coral for decorating things maybe.

You can get several tubs at the hardware store, as Hannah said. They are not that expensive, if you want your fish to have more space as they wait.

No I don't want the crushed coral. That is sort of how this got started. I want easy sand for the crabs and will use a tiny bit of the crushed coral for decorating things maybe.

What crushed coral? Its real sand off the bottom of the gulf where lots of snails and crabs live. I have a ton of both in my tank.

I did the same thing as you are going to do. Go to Target, get 2 or 3 of the Rubbermaid tubs, they are cheap. Start draining your water from the old tank into the containers (don't syphon the sand) and remember to turn the return pump on after you have 5 to 10 gallens out so you drain your sump. When they get about a third filled, start pulling your coral and putting them in the Rubbermaids. Put water and fish in a 5 gallon bucket, they will be fine.

When you have all but about the last couple inches of water out of the tank, have someone help you move it away from the wall where you are going to place the new stand and tank. Get the new stand and tank in place, and run your plumbing. Place your rock in the new tank. If you have an extra pump, use that to pump the water from the tubs into your sump, the return pump into the tank. Once it is 3/4 full add your fish, and top it off. Next add your sand (with return pump off). Turn return pump back on, let clear and add your corals.

Back