Surface Area and Gas Exchange?

brkieffner

Reefing newb
I am trying to learn all I can before delving into this hobby.

Everything I've read suggests that surface area for gaseous exchange is important. So here's my question...

If surface area is important...do we keep a cover or not? I've read that a cover is necessary to keep "jumpers" in the tank but how much gaseous exchange can really occur with a cover on top of the tank? Obviously gaseous exchange is important to keep the water oxygenated but wouldn't a cover stifle most of the air available since it's only about 2-3 inches between the top of the water and the cover...? Is a cover really a necessity? What about some form of netting that could keep the fish in but allow great air flow?

Thanks for your help! :bowdown:

Covers are not necessary for tanks unless you plan on having fish that are jumpers. Glass covers can not only stifle gas exchange but cause your tank to overheat. I can't remember who it was on this site but, they made a cover using screen door materials.

Most people don't use covers. Ones that do usually build mesh or grid ones themselves so that gas exchange can still happen, but jumpers stay in. Other downsides to covers is that they heat up the tank and block light.

You can make a cover out of "egg crate". Its a light diffuser you can get at home depot. I had one for a while. It is just a grid like top that lets air and light go through. What I liked about it was that it stopped jumpers, was really easy to pop off, and only cost like $15. Well easy for me to take off since I have a hanging style light. The negative is that I'll bet it cut my light down something like 10%-20%. I started taking it off when viewing the tank and one day I decided to never put it back on.

Last edited:
+1 Yeah, I use egg crate currently because I have fish that jump. It cuts down the light, but not enough for me to care. I had glass tops originally, but they made my tank overheat...

You can make a cover out of "egg crate". Its a light diffuser you can get at home depot. I had one for a while. It is just a grid like top that lets air and light go through. What I liked about it was that it stopped jumpers, was really easy to pop off, and only cost like $15. Well easy for me to take off since I have a hanging style light. The negative is that I'll bet it cut my light down something like 10%-20%. I started taking it off when viewing the tank and one day I decided to never put it back on.

It depends on what type of fish, some fish have been able to jump out even with egg crate because of the size of the holes

Back